BT Home Hub 3.0 use with a different ISP

Discussion in 'PC Hardware' started by nigel1705, Nov 9, 2012.

1. nigel1705

nigel1705 MDL Novice

Aug 10, 2012
    Hi,
    I am an installer for a WISP service in the Essex area. A lot of people are replacing their ADSL service for the one I install because in rural areas the ADSL speed is very poor. The WISP service that I install offers up to 12Mbps down and 6Mbps up.

My question is about the BT home Hub 3.0 as it has the "Infinity" port on the back. I have tried connecting this to the ethernet cable coming from the radio that I install, but the Home Hub 3.0 doesn't seem to recognise it. The light on the front stays orange, and there is no connection. Does anybody know what the Home Hub 3.0 expects to "see" at the Infinity port?

The radio we install has built in DHCP and gives out addresses in the range of 10.0.0.0.

We normally supply at cost to the customer a cable router but if I could reuse the BT home Hub 3.0 it would be cheaper for the customer and pottentially save me time as all there equipment is already setup for this unit.

Regards,
    Nigel

2. S_A_S

S_A_S MDL Member

Oct 16, 2012
    The Infinity RJ45 port supports the VDSL2 protocol used by BT's Infinity fibre-optic broadband service.

Aren't you supposed to know this kind of stuff, being a installer :confused:

Won't work with the cable ISP.

3. nigel1705

nigel1705 MDL Novice

Aug 10, 2012
    The RJ45 port on a BT Home Hub 3.0 is nothing to do with VDSL2.
    The MODEM that BT (Openreach) supply with the Home Hub 3.0 takes the incoming VDSL2 signal and converts it to a standard ethernet output.
    I know this because any cable modem can be connected to the output from the BT (Openreach) MODEM and be used instead of a Home Hub 3.0.

4. nigel1705

nigel1705 MDL Novice

Aug 10, 2012
    Thanks for the help

5. bp1

bp1 MDL Member

May 11, 2009
    As an installer you should no that the BT Homehubs are locked and for BT Broadband only. Will not work for any other isp.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...