Bug in Windows 7: The Audio Service is not running

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by Matrix Leader, Sep 27, 2010.

1. Matrix Leader

Matrix Leader MDL Addicted

Dec 8, 2009
    On occasion when i boot up im getting a red cross on my volume control in the tray and hovering over it it says the "audio service is not running" but the service is running, i get sound and everything is working fine. Looking at the services i find windows audio service and yep its running fine & set to automatic but there is still the red cross in my tray?

at the moment im having to "restart" this service to get rid of the notification and the red cross but its a pain.

Only happens about 20% of the time.

I have the latest sound drivers.

have done a search but its all about this service failing to start & giving errors etc.

Temporary Solution, click on the speaker Icon, raise the volume up then down, erros is gone :(

It's strange that all this time and Microsoft still didn't fix this via a Windows Update :(

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  2. KotaXor

KotaXor MDL Senior Member

Aug 3, 2009
    Yeah...this happen to me occasionally on my desktop but not on my laptop (touch wood).
    Thought I was the only one.
    Raising or lowering the volume removed the red cross here too.

3. coromonadalix

coromonadalix MDL Senior Member

Jul 21, 2009
    i've had it in win7 with my x-fi card due to crappy drivers from creative, removed the card, enabled the onboard audio card, no bug since that.

Was happening half the time, moved the volume cursor to remove the red cross ...

4. Notam

Notam MDL Junior Member

Aug 2, 2009
    The same happens here. This keeps on happening every time

5. Matrix Leader

Dec 8, 2009
    Hope they come up with a fix soon...this OS has been out long enough for this to no happen :(

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  6. urie

urie Moderator
    Staff Member

May 21, 2007
    Probably more drivers problem that M$ bug because it doesn't happen on all systems. I haven't came across it yet.

7. Matrix Leader

Dec 8, 2009
    You are right, this used to happen on my HP DV5 laptop, after a driver upgrade, it disappears.

However, on my Fujitsu Amilo laptop which I currently have, I am already using the latest drivers from RealTek.....

Maybe they'll release an updated driver soon,,,,however, I still think MS is kinda responsible as the sound chipser is working perfectly fine and so are the sounds....

8. Matrix Leader

Dec 8, 2009
    Now that you have said this urie, made me re-think, I had downloaded Realtek High Definition Audio for Win 7 2.52 last month and been using it since then.

I now installed the drivers off the Fujitsu website and this error is gone :)

Thanks d00d

9. urie

urie Moderator
    Staff Member

May 21, 2007
    Glad it's sorted out :)

10. timesurfer

timesurfer MDL Developer

Nov 22, 2009
    Noticed it once or twice too

11. sofatiger51

sofatiger51 MDL Senior Member

Mar 3, 2010
    It happens to 4 of my computers (2 lappies & 2 desktops) occasionally. I solve it by opening speaker icon, raise and lower volume and it disappeared.
    It appears to affect Realtek sound card.

12. Anakunda

Anakunda MDL Senior Member

Feb 6, 2010
    It's interesting i've never observed it on realtek hdaudio card, 64b driver

13. Matrix Leader

Dec 8, 2009
    Did you try to use other Realtek Drivers?

14. xscess

xscess MDL Senior Member

Jul 27, 2009
    when you see that red x on volume icon, do you have any speakers/headphones connected to the PC? 'coz on my desktop when there is no headphones/speakers connected, it does shows red x and won't play any audio/video saying "no sound device connected" but it never displayed it when any of 'em are connected...

15. DARKOR04

DARKOR04 MDL Tester/Developer

Jul 5, 2010
    Yep, bug confirmed here, same issue in my 4 lappys, try different Sound Drivers and still happens from time to time. I haven't seen it in about 14 days in the one i use most the time but in the other three about 2 to 3 times a week. :(

16. kpo6969

kpo6969 MDL Member

Mar 15, 2010
    Same thing here, 2 to 3 times a week or so.
    Win7 x64
    Creative Extreme Music
    Creative (daniel k) drivers

17. danyo1337

danyo1337 MDL Junior Member

Jul 24, 2010
    I get this problem all the time also. Probably due to crappy Realtek drivers. I usually unplug my headset and plug it back in to fix it.

18. BuonaDomenica

BuonaDomenica MDL Senior Member

Aug 27, 2009
    o_O same problem here with a Dell XPS m1210 laptop and Win7 32bit. every now and then the volume icon has the red x in it. I just hit the mute button twice and it goes away. I have seen this problem even on brand new laptops or desktop.

19. badbug

badbug MDL Novice

Nov 10, 2010
    Good day All,

I have somewhat a similar issue, i am running 32bit version of windows 7, my sound card use realtek drivers for some reason i can't get the driver to work. If i am to use the widows recommended driver it works for a short time then speakers go dead.