Build 1703 Cortana appears to need an Internet connection

Discussion in 'Windows 10' started by toddwm, Aug 3, 2017.

1. toddwm

toddwm MDL Novice

Jul 27, 2017
    Hi,

I've created a Win 10 Pro image using the 1703 bits and the 1703 ADK. When I install it on a tablet computer without a Internet connection, the search function does not work. Once I connect (via wi-fi) to the Internet, the search function works correctly, even after disconnecting from the Internet. After rebooting the computer, the search function is back to being non-functional.

Some details:
    • Install the image and go through the OOBE
    • Press the Windows key and enter 'control panel' (without the quotes)
    • The search results box shows a white background with no results
    • The box stays empty until dismissed (I've waited over an hour)
    • Connect over wi-fi to the Internet
    • Repeat the search. Scrolling dots are shown on the top of the search box and then results appear.
    • Disconnect from the Internet
    • Search for a new term such as 'cmd'. Results appear quickly.
    • Reboot and retest with no Internet connection. Search fails again.
    My conclusion is that 1703 Cortana must phone home to some server before it works correctly. It also must do this after each reboot.

The users want to use Cortana so disabling it via gpedit.msc is not an option. The tablet computers are often used in remote locations without cellular coverage or any other way to get Internet access.

Any suggestions on how to get around this behavior?

++ Todd

2. MrMagic

MrMagic MDL Guru

Feb 13, 2012
    Seems to be a problem with the link to this thread, which will be why you haven't had any replies yet, it has been reported

3. toddwm

toddwm MDL Novice

Jul 27, 2017
    I did a search in the forums but couldn't find anything. It appears that my search-foo is weak. Can you point me at the thread or advise me on what search terms to use? Thanks!

++ Todd

4. MrMagic

MrMagic MDL Guru

Feb 13, 2012
    I meant this thread had a problem, your own thread, when clicked was opening a different thread, it has since been fixed