Building Dell ISO Image problems Please see Pics...

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by sadsack, Feb 20, 2011.

1. sadsack

sadsack MDL Member

Dec 8, 2007
  2. Metal

Metal MDL Novice

Nov 29, 2009
    I'm not sure what your error is (maybe I'm just missing the point of your post) but if you want to make it a single layer US English DVD remove the Langpacks folder and edit the lang.ini file

3. sadsack

sadsack MDL Member

Dec 8, 2007
    #3 sadsack, Feb 20, 2011
    Last edited: Feb 20, 2011
    (OP)
    Sorry....

really should have mentioned that I was following some info that urie gave me to remove the ei.cfg file, and to also update the slp.cmd file within $oem$\$$\setup\scripts ....

I have done exactly as described, opened the image of the original iso image within, PowerISO, deleted ei.cfg, ripped slp.cmd edited it, deleted the original added the edited copy, saved as iso image to seperate HD, but every time I open it up in ISObuster the image is not the same as the original, I understand this as the original has been manipulated.

as you can see in the first pic, there is a readme file,......... in the saved iso image it has disappeared,

under "bootable disc" the information hasn't changed,

uder "udf" the information hasn't changed,

what i dont understand is that just by removing and editing a couple of files the whole structure of the image has gone wrong, even the name of the "langpacks" folder has changed as well.
    Which makes me believe that if i did burn this disk it probably won't install correctly.

I thought about just rebuilding the whole of the image from ripped files on my HD, and then adding the bootable disc info, but how do you add 3 bootable info files, as imgburn only allows you to choose one.

Oh and I tried MagicISO with exactly the same errors.

I'm just looking for some guidance as to what I may be doing wrong, I used Imgburn to create the image I don't know if that has any bearing on it, but the image created shows up correctly when viewed within ISObuster, so I don't think its that.

I am now thinking about using the eicfg_removal_utility, this as I understand it keeps the image intact, but I still have now way of being able to edit the slp.cmd, unless there's a util available that would do something similar to eicfg_removal_utility but works on the slp.cmd instead.

I hope that's explained it a little better.

4. urie

urie Moderator
    Staff Member

May 21, 2007
    Use UltraISO, isobuster is garbage totally confusing can't see folder sizes or nothing I only ever used it to extract files and that was years ago. What version are you wanting to make? do you want to make dell multiple-edition i can upload $oem$ folder.

5. sadsack

sadsack MDL Member

Dec 8, 2007
  6. sadsack

sadsack MDL Member

Dec 8, 2007
    Hi Late Shift,

No mate, A friend of mine lent me his Dell Home Premium 64bit Re-Installation DVD, and I have been rather unsuccessful in converting it into a any version Boot DVD.

well not exactly unsuccessful, as urie gave me full details about what to delete and what to add, Its just the rebuilding of the image I am having trouble with. as explained in the details above.
    I have now tried UltraISO, MagicISO, PowerISO, so far the nearest I have got to an exact copy of the original is with UltraISO but upon reading the Image with ISObuster it throws up an error.

It just doesn't make sense as to why files go missing when all I have done is to delete and reinsert a single file, and "save as" a new ISO image.

sadsack

7. sadsack

sadsack MDL Member

Dec 8, 2007
    Hi LateShift,

Well luckily I already have that ready to go, I'm hoping this is what you are after, It is from the image that imgburn created. would it be worthwhile trying it on the disc as well?.

Honestly don't know if the attachment has worked or not....

sadsack

Attached Files:

8. sadsack

sadsack MDL Member

Dec 8, 2007
    Yes mate,

I lent his disc, Made an image using imgburn, burnt the image. nothing was altered in between.

This did start off with me saying that it was an re-installation dvd though.... would that make any difference. I don't see how it can because the OEM folder is already within the DVD.

sadsack

9. sadsack

sadsack MDL Member

Dec 8, 2007
    Sorry Late Shift mate, but it's 3.19 am and ive got to be up at 6.30am so i'll be back up tomorrow mate....

thanks for any further help, please post and i'll get back to you....

ttfn

sadsack

10. Metal

Metal MDL Novice

Nov 29, 2009
    View attachment WIN_7_HOMEPREMIUM_DELL_x64.zip

here is one from an ISO of my DVD, I'm not sure if I ever opened this ISO but if it helps in anyway have at it.
    I have the original Home Premium and Professional 64bit DVD's if those will help

11. thomas-007

thomas-007 MDL Novice

Feb 20, 2011
    Sadsack - Not sure why you have to have the img to be identical to the original, after all it sounds like you are trying to create a custom install cd.

Sorry I am unable to post a link for you as I do not have 20 credits ect.

Google (Nlight) they have a bb over at msn.org - the software is for creating custom install cd for example with SP? slipped streamed in to it - I think you might find to helpful info there. Also goole Gamecopy.world they have an extensive list and links for img software. One should find a little progie to edit an existing img that you put on a virtual drive and resave it intact.\

cheers Thomas

12. urie

urie Moderator
    Staff Member

May 21, 2007
    The disk you have is standard Dell x64 OEM SLP disk dell names all their disks reinstallation dvd's it is not a recovery dvd that is completely different in fact dell don't supply those but have a recovery partition and on newer models option to make recovery dvd's yourself.

I still don't undersatnd why you are having these problems i downloaded original dell windows 7 dvd ISO a long while back and managed to edit it in UltraIsO with no problems but I have since deleted it no real need for other languages. To be honest you would be far better downloading windows 7 ultimate SP1 now that it has been realeased and editing that ISO i,e, add dell OEM folder and delete ie.cfg from that.

13. Kouryu

Kouryu MDL Senior Member

Jan 19, 2011
    #13 Kouryu, Feb 21, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 20, 2017
    imgburn shouldn't have any problems making the iso... I never did

why don't you have ultraiso do it instead?
    borrow the disc again if you don't have it, then use ultraiso to make the iso
    click on file -> open cd/dvd... select the drive the original disc is in
    now, you can either save what you see now, or you can modify it immediately and save it as an iso

you don't have to touch anything else... the boot loader should be preserved. Just delete the ei.cfg, and modify the slp.cmd... it should work

stop burning discs for testing, that's stupid.... this isn't 10 years ago anymore
    go download vmware player and install it
    download the vmware bios pack from here and get the dell QA09 vmware bios... create your vmware virtual machine, and then before you run it, go to where the file is... open the .vmx file with notepad and add
    Code:
    bios440.filename = "bios.bin"

where bios.bin is your bios filename

start it, load the ISO into vmware, and install 7 in vmware... if it works great, if it doesn't then keep trying till it works!

14. urie

urie Moderator
    Staff Member

May 21, 2007
    #15 urie, Feb 21, 2011
    Last edited: Feb 21, 2011
    @ searchengine, excellent video tutorial :hug2: was going to mention adding it to your Windows 7 DVD (Multi-Brand/Multi-Edition) Activation thread but just noticed it was already there:eek:

Do you think you could make one using UltraISO for editing because I would say PowerISO and UltraISO are most popular. In fact maybe a good idea to have video tutorial section.

15. tcntad

tcntad MDL Guru

Oct 26, 2009
    I support the video section, if it has thorough guides too :)

16. searchengine

searchengine Guest

no problem, added video for UltraISO to post #17 and Windows 7 DVD (Multi-Brand/Multi-Edition) Activation thread ;)

video tutorial section sounds good.

17. sadsack

sadsack MDL Member

Dec 8, 2007
    Hi all,

Had the nightmare from hell earlier on today, broke down 8 miles out from dartford bridge, (for the u.k. members) on the hard shoulder for nearly two hours waiting for the AA....

I am seriously glad to be home..... lol

Thanks chaps for all your tips and guides...... very very helpful indeed...

I was just getting stuck into a rut mainly because I knew the disc was from an original and hadn't been manipulated with in any way, apart from what i was doing to it.
    (I'm not very trusting in anything from *orrent sites). so I didn't really want to go down that route.

I Haven't burn a single DL disc yet, and wont until I fairly certain I wont have any problems, so I think I might have a go at Kouryu's suggestion.

Thanks "Metal" for your up, appreciated...

Gonna go now chaps as it's been a rough day today, but I will post back in a couple of days to let you know how I got on.

ttfn

sadsack

p.s.

urie,

"I still don't undersatnd why you are having these problems i downloaded original dell windows 7 dvd ISO a long while back and managed to edit it in UltraIsO with no problems but I have since deleted it no real need for other languages. To be honest you would be far better downloading windows 7 ultimate SP1 now that it has been realeased and editing that ISO i,e, add dell OEM folder and delete ie.cfg from that."

would this be from a reputable place.....?

18. Kouryu

Kouryu MDL Senior Member

Jan 19, 2011
    the most reliable source is wzor's site... the checksums matches the ones on the MSDN website (which only has retail versions, not OEM... but the OEM files are the exact same as the retail ones, except for the EULA files)

19. searchengine

searchengine Guest

#20 searchengine, Feb 22, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 22, 2011
    post #3
    post #7
    If you are editing "original iso" as post #3, then it should be plain sailing, as the image is already bootable

but...

If you are adding files from "mates DVD" to iso image as post #7, then it would never be bootable, until you add bootable image file (.bif) to the created iso ...

... .bif file can be extracted and saved from "mates DVD" using UltraISO or saved from "mates DVD" using PowerISO

OR

If you start PowerISO OR UltraISO and select open CD/DVD and browse to DVD the opened menu will show as bootable image ... in UltraISO select save as and it will save as bootable ISO; alternatively, in PowerISO select copy and it will save as bootable ISO

PowerISO & UltraISO both display if the loaded iso is bootable or non-bootable