Building New Computer

Discussion in 'PC Hardware' started by Shadow21, Aug 8, 2010.

1. Shadow21

Shadow21 MDL Junior Member

May 13, 2010
    #1 Shadow21, Aug 8, 2010
    Last edited: Aug 9, 2010
  2. tnx

tnx MDL Expert

Sep 2, 2008
    Being on this forum site. The first thing i guess you have thought about.Those two mobo's your thinking of getting are they on the list of motherboards which already have a modded BIOS file for which to add SLIC/SLP info.

personally i like the look of the Asus one. For some reason i dont like Micro ATX....

I just went chicking at Asus USA. I like to know if the drivers are ready available for the mobo's web site.New BIOS and W7 drivers (+ other OS's) are there to download.
    The Asus board for me...

All though i lean towards Intel based boards..

3. DesertJerry

DesertJerry MDL Novice

Apr 11, 2010
    Buying a little at a time makes no sense. If it takes you six months to finally get all the items you want the first item you bought could be selling for much less. Also, as the holiday shopping season gets closer prices will be dropping on almost everything - save your money till you have enough to purchase everything then seek out the best deals.

4. tnx

tnx MDL Expert

Sep 2, 2008
    I can see this point of view and it makes good sense.

Can i add......

I built my sen this PC i am using a good few years back now. I could not afford all the nice shiney things all at one go so what i did was to compromise. I picked a board which could run my existing chip and RAM but i knew would take a faster better chip and a lot more RAM. I sort of built my self a sound foundation and over these past few years i have added better chips lots of RAM,bigger PSU's,better grapchics cards. etc etc.

As it stands this PC does me very nicely and i wont upgrade till summet brakes...( hope it dont brake now i have mentioned it. )

My advice would be pick a budget and STICK to it...

5. Shadow21

May 13, 2010
  6. fdjc

fdjc MDL Member

Feb 27, 2010
    Do not buy any other HDD except Western Digital, everything else is pure crap in comparison.

6 WD's - 0 Failures
    2 Seagates - 2 failures (both younger than my oldest WD's too...)
    1 Hitachi - 1 Failure
    2 Samsungs (external USB RAID HDD) - 0 Failures but then again they rarely used.

BTW this is assuming you are not going to by an SSD (Solid State Drive)...

7. Shadow21

May 13, 2010
    I actually wasn't going to buy a new internal HDD. I'm just going to continue to use the one that is in my computer now (I think it's a Seagate). I like to keep all my documents, pictures, music ,videos, etc. on my external WD HDD. I am going to buy a new 1TB+ external HDD that supports eSATA after I'm done upgrading my computer.

8. Hazar

Hazar MDL Guru

Jul 29, 2009
    AMD is dead, seriously.

Get an i5 750 and P55 board

9. Shadow21

May 13, 2010
    #10 Shadow21, Aug 10, 2010
    Last edited: Aug 11, 2010
    (OP)
    Why should I get a CPU that's only 2.66Gz when I could get a CPU that's 3.4Gz and cheaper? I know AMD isn't as good as Intel but it's still a little cheaper and since it's 3.4Gz it should be faster.

10. Hazar

Hazar MDL Guru

Jul 29, 2009
    BAAAM

wrong.

The Intel performs better at 2.6GHZ than the AMD at 3.4ghz.

And then factor in the fact you can overclock an Intel to 4ghz+...

Seriously, why do people think clock speed is everything nowadays?

11. Hazar

Hazar MDL Guru

Jul 29, 2009
    There might be times when the huge boost in clock speed over the i5 just edges out the Phenom but if they're at the same speed the Intel is a lot faster and the i5 overclocks higher too so its by far the better buy but still:

"When converting a full-length movie from a DVD (MPEG2) to DivX format Core i5-750 was 16% faster than Phenom II X4 965 and 20% faster than Phenom II X4 955; rendering a sample project on After Effects CS4 Core i5-750 was 22% faster than Phenom II X4 965 and 26% faster than Phenom II 955; and compressing files with WinRAR Core i5-750 was 19% faster than Phenom II X4 965 and 22% faster than Phenom II X4 955."

12. burfadel

burfadel MDL EXE>MSP/CAB

Aug 19, 2009
    Price vs performance AMD isn't too bad. Look at the Phenom X2 1055T and the 1090T, they're not that bad at all!

AMD is far from dead. At the moment Intel has the better CPU's, thats true. I have a Q9400 at the moment and before that a E6600. BUT before that I had a Athlon 64. There was no way in the world I was going to waste money on the more expensive P4, which was, and excuse my language here but its a very appropriate word, a piece of s**t (and I normally blank out swear words). All iterations of the P4, from the socket 478 to the socket 775 were pathetic, disgusting, and disgraceful. They were around for a long time, and quite frankly anyone that wasted money buying a P4 (which were a lot of people) were either misinformed or stubborn idiots. Thats fact!

AMD are releasing a completely evolved architecture at the end of the year, with two different types. A normal cpu/gpu, which works differently to current cpu/gpu combos, and can work in unison with additional graphics cards, and a quad memory channel monster Bulldozer core which will wipe the floor of current Intels (well should anway)!

Intel are also releasing a revised Core i5/i7, requiring a new incompatible socket 1155. They're scrapping from what I've read the socket 1360 equivalent CPU's, and going for a monster super expensive quad channel memory monster socket CPU (to compete with AMD's quad-channel CPU which will be significantly cheaper).

ATI are also bringing out a new gen video card, the first at the end of the year is an updated HD5xxx core with a part of the new gen, and the next cards due next year are a completely new architecture which should make the Nvidia GTX480 look like an outdated power hungry monster, even more so than it is at the moment.

13. Hazar

Hazar MDL Guru

Jul 29, 2009
    Intel are already implementing dual QPI links in Xeon's giving an effective six memory channels

14. burfadel

burfadel MDL EXE>MSP/CAB

Aug 19, 2009
    The Phenom x4 is a quad core, what about the hexa (6) core Phenoms (the 1055T which is similar in price to the i5-750) ;)

15. Kooky

Kooky MDL Novice

Aug 13, 2010
    First time poster, but I've been looking and appreciating the information available on this site for a few months now. This thread actually has me wanting to respond.

I have a M4A78T-E, running a Phenom II X4 Black 955, have no problems running anything. Running Win7 Pro with 8GB of RAM, and it doesn't even hiccup. Only down side is I could have more FPS in some games, but I blame that on my Video card as its a re-used 8800GT. Also, I think everyone has their favorite hard drives, I've quit listening to the "Don't buy xxx, they're crap." I have started to think there are occasional bad shipments of every manufacturer, and sooner or later everyone will get a bad drive. Or a bad environment causes failure or whatnot. I am currently running six Seagate HDs in my two primary machines (2 ATA 300GB, 2 SATA 300GB, 2 SATA 1.5TB). I have an additional three 1TB Seagate Externals, two Seagate FreeAgent's, one 320GB Go, and one 1TB(Older). The four 1TB drives are low use, admittedly as backups, but they havn't failed yet. (Sometimes I want to think that externals have a shorter anticipated lifespan due to constant moving, infrequent power ups/downs, unstable mountings, etc. as compared to my installed Almost Always On drives.)

I like the ASUS Mobo. I'd also go with AMD for the simple price vs performance. Unless your anticipated use is going to be primarilly in an area where Core i7s do outperform AMD, go with it. Also, because of the socketing, I think the mobo will be a little more future resilient (not proof by any means). It seems as though Intel has fun constantly changing sockets, whereas AMD appears to be trying to stick with sockets as long as possible, and really thinking out their new ones to make them durable over generations. (Makes it more attractive to those who do like to constantly up their processor.. Or those who build in stages, ie: High end mobo, Cheap Proc with the intent of upgrading it within 6 months to a year when funds are available.)

16. fdjc

fdjc MDL Member

Feb 27, 2010
    There is actually a notice on their site that you should update firmware on certain models as buggy firmware is what caused drives to go in the first place.

I have worked in computing for a number of years, in a company I worked for Seagate was the highest failed HDD manufacturer during my stint working there.

I'm Irish dude, Seagate have a branch here, not far from me, trust me anything coming out of here isn't bad but durability isn't something they are good at.

17. Kooky

Kooky MDL Novice

Aug 13, 2010
    I have two of the "dreaded" drives, the 1.5TBs. I probably should update the firmware on them but I'm also hesitant because of that old addage, if it ain't broke, don't fix it. I will do some investigation though over the weekend to see if I do have new firmware for any of these buggers.

The only drive I've ever had fail on me was a WD.