Building the most up-to-date Windows Vista ISO

Discussion in 'Windows Vista' started by TigTex, Feb 13, 2018.

1. TigTex

TigTex MDL Member

Oct 5, 2009
    Hello

I'm trying to build an updated ISO based on the MSDN isos with all editions and x64 and x86 versions.
    I'm doing this because there are still many machines that only have the Vista COA and paying for a windows 10 licence or activating any other windows edition is not an option. It needs to be 100% legitimate to pass the software inspections. I know, vista is old, unsecure, obsolete, but here in Portugal, computers from that era are common and I have to provide solutions.

So, I was searching for something like UpdatePack from simplix, but there are none. WSUS offline (legacy) works somehow, but I have no idea how to apply it to an offline wim image. So I thought that I could install vista on a virtual machine, install all the updates and capture the WIM, but that would take way too much time for all the SKUs and x64/x86 variants. Also, if I install all the 200 updates, the system runs out of memory, just like windows 7 (memory leak?), so I have to reboot every 50 or 100 updates and wait an hour for it to display the remaining updates.

Does any one have an update list or batch file like there are for the newer windows editions? Or any other suggestions?
    Please, no KMS or "use linux" talk! Thank you

2. pm67310

pm67310 MDL Novice

Sep 6, 2011
    use wsus offline update to integrate all official windows vista update up to 2017

you can integrate windows server 2008 (no r2) to integrate post-vista update

update after 11 april 2017
    no exist for vista use windows server 2008 update

you need to browse windows server update catalogue to integrate post vista (server 2008 no r2 update)
    update must downloaded manually

and installed manually

because server 2008 no r2 use windows vista kernel , server 2008 are updated to january 2020

to make this the most simple are install windows vista enterprise (same as ultimate works with kms ) or use professional version

use windows vista with sp2 and install all update up to 11 april 2017
    install manually all windows server 2008
    after 11 april 2017 up to jully 2018

after all update

sysprep this image

you can find good tutorial on networks

use install wim from captured image and integrate to windows vista sp2 iso

(replace original wim from captured)

this is most simple solution because integrate to all wim update (home,pro, basic , starter) are too complicated

you can use this procedure for 32bits or 64bits iso