built a new rig,...what do you think?

Discussion in 'PC Hardware' started by U-Fig, Jul 22, 2011.

1. U-Fig

U-Fig MDL Member

May 14, 2010
    #1 U-Fig, Jul 22, 2011
    Last edited: Jul 22, 2011
    hi all,

i recently came across some cash, due to having a new job, and my old rig , which has served me happily for about 5 years
    has had met it's EOL status in my humble opinion.

so i decided to replace some components in my pc, namely the mainboard, CPU, RAM and GFX, PSU was done a little while ago, so, along with my hdd's i kept my PSU

components i bought:

ASRock 890 GX Extreme3
    PhenomII X6 1100T
    GSkill DDR3 1333 8GB RipJaws DC kit
    Gigabyte GeForce GTX460 1GB

components already present:
    Corsair TX650 650 Watt PSU
    Samsung HD080HJ 80GB SII drive for OS
    Samsung HD103UJ 1TB SII drive
    Samsung HD204UI 2TB SII drive
    Samsung HD501LJ 500GB SII drive
    Samsung HD642JJ 640GB SII drive

i slapped my old zalman CNPS9700NT on my CPU and i'm really not satisfied with load temps atm so it will soon be replaced with a Noctua NH-D14.

In-Depth benchmark results will follow, as i am setting this system up ATM.

overall performance is really nice, and i think i will be able to stretch this system for at least 4.5 to 5 years with minor upgrades, so, what do you think?

ps, some components where bought with budget in mind.

Fig!

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  2. U-Fig

U-Fig MDL Member

May 14, 2010
    #2 U-Fig, Jul 22, 2011
    Last edited: Jul 22, 2011
    (OP)
    well, AIO kits don't really do it for me, i like my setup like my sandwich, self-made

in fact i was putting a nice setup together consisting of a 5.25"bay reservoir, eheim pump in res, a 120x120 rad, a 120 x360 rad and NB-SB-CPU and GPU blocks(possibly for the MOSFET's too).

loop would be like this:
    5.25"RES
    NB block
    SB block
    120x120Rad push/ pull fan config
    Pump+res
    CPU
    GPU
    120x360 rad push/pull fan config (mounted outside of case)
    (back to top of loop)

thus creating a separate cold zone for NB/SB

if the MOSFET's will be included in the loop the will be put on a separate 4mm line to assure that the rest of the hardware will have enough flow left, but they will be fitted between the big rad and the bottom RES which holds the pump.

only drawback to this very nice dream are the costs, this set-up will be a set-back of a good 620 euro's...

wich is why a have to save some money and put it where my wife wont find it:D

that's why i want the noctua first, so when i have enough dough to build my intended( or improved) setup, i can give the noctua to my wife, so she will be cool too(pun intended)(and yeah, she's got her own rig too, PhenomII x2 255BE U/L to 3x3.4, asrock n68-ge3 UCC, 4GB DDR3 1333 Mushkin DC Kit, XFX GeForce 8800GTS 320MB,My old GFX board)

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. alextheg

alextheg MDL Expert

Jan 7, 2009
    Nice rig and no overkill IMHO.

4. U-Fig

U-Fig MDL Member

May 14, 2010
    nice sig, thanks for the reminder....