Built my first parallel loopback for cracking Toshiba bios the other day

Discussion in 'BIOS Mods' started by kingedwards, May 22, 2010.

1. kingedwards

kingedwards MDL Junior Member

Mar 17, 2010
    I got a large shipment of all types of bios locked laptops this past week at my work. My job of course is testing, repairing, removing bios lock, and wiping hard drives. I am pretty adept at extracting passwords directly from the chips, but I was working on a large batch of older Toshiba laptops and decided to try out the parallel loopback trick. What I did is take a DB25 parallel cable and cut the end off so I could see bare pins on both ends. I then spliced the transmit pins with the receive pins and wallah I have a loopback. I read online that the loopback can crash some older bios and reset all settings and passwords and that it also acts as a backdoor password for Toshiba laptops.

Long story short... it worked like a charm. I am going to upload a picture of my device later because it looks straight Macgyver. I have tested it on about 40 different Toshiba laptops and one model HP laptop and it has worked on every one of them. You literally plug the device in to the parallel port and turn the laptop on and everything is reset. There is no message saying the password has been cleared or anything. I was very impressed and this new device saves me a ton of time.

If anyone else is interested in making one all you have to do is cut of the end of a parallel printer cable and get it down to the bare connector. Then splice or solder jumper cables to connect the following pins.

1-5-10
    2-11
    3-17
    4-12
    6-16
    7-13
    8-14
    9-15

I will let you know about what other brands and models this device works on as I come across them.

2. bazznet

bazznet MDL Novice

Jun 21, 2010
    I have one of those Toshiba locked buggars !! Do you by chance have any pictures of this as I am not the greatest at soldering and mods but will give it a go if I can unlock my Tosh with it. If you can post a link to pics that would be great if you are not able to post here.

Many thanks
    Bazz