Burn a .mkv into a DVD? Nothing works?!

Discussion in 'Application Software' started by dougwa, Sep 21, 2017.

1. dougwa

dougwa MDL Junior Member

Mar 6, 2013
    Hello smart people! I have a bunch of .mkv videos that I'd love to turn into DVDs that can play in any DVD player. I have TMPGEnc.DVD.Author.3 which does fine if I have .avi or mpeg for the source, but it can't touch .mkv or .flv files. I tried converting .mkv to .avi with hand brake, Super, Any Video Converter, Freemake Video Converter, and I tried tons of different settings... nothing converts properly, EVER! The sound is out of sync or the picture stutters no matter what! Yuck! lol
    Someone said I can pay for "Nero Video" and I'll be all set, is that right? And is the learning curve something a near noob can handle? And/or any other advice will be greatly appreciated!

2. sebus

sebus MDL Guru

Jul 23, 2008
    Change DVD player to one that reads mkv from USB
    What you trying to do it late 1990. Especially that you likely to have very good quality mkv (possibly 720p) and you want to damage them to an awful DVD 480i quality)

3. zen45

zen45 MDL Addicted

Feb 25, 2010
    I use ashampoo burning studio and a blu-ray player with a usb port, my usb is 128 gig so I have mkv avi mp4 all on the same usb some of movies are 720's 1080's Blu-ray rips

4. dhjohns

dhjohns MDL Guru

Sep 5, 2013
    ConvertXtoDVD

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  5. Joe C

Joe C MDL Guru

Jan 12, 2012
    #6 Joe C, Sep 22, 2017
    Last edited: Sep 22, 2017
    Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  6. ThomasMann

ThomasMann MDL Expert

Dec 31, 2015
    Easy, fast and simple conversions: VLC PLayer

7. dougwa

dougwa MDL Junior Member

Mar 6, 2013
    sebus: LOL, good one, so true... I ~am~ doing something from the stone ages!
    MrMagic: TY for suggestion, I haven't yet tried ConvertXtoDVD. "PC out of specs"? Windows 7, 3.4 ghz dual core, 4 gb RAM, what else do I need? I'm not a gamer...
    zen45: I don't remember if I've tried ashampoo, I'll have to get out an older hard drive and look through all the MANY programs I've downloaded. Thanks for the reply, I am very appreciative.
    dhjohns: Thanks for the upvote on ConvertXtoDVD.
    ianymaty: I have tried DVD Styler and DVD flick with poor results (out of sync sound). I suppose both are great for some files, but the Pee Wee Herman file I was trying to convert was... problematic, you might say.
    Joe C: I love your catch phrase! Thanks for suggestions, I'm willing to try anything.
    ThomasMann: I once tried to use VLC to turn a youtube .flv into a .mp3 with no success, thus proving that g00gle does NOT know everything! Do you have a link to a good (working!) tutorial on converting with VLC?

8. ThomasMann

ThomasMann MDL Expert

Dec 31, 2015

I just used it to convert some Bowie live for my mp 3 player, and sometimes for turning flvs in avis

Open VLC

Click in the “Media” drop down menu on convert

“Add” your downloaded file.

Click “convert”

From the offered possibilities choose what you want

Give it the wanted location and name, and

click start.

Simple and straight forward, Works on mine.

9. dougwa

dougwa MDL Junior Member

Mar 6, 2013
    TY for link Kim100, I'll give that a try.
    ThomasMann, I have some .flv's that I want the .mp3's out of, I'll try doing that with VLC. Many many thanks!