Buy Win 7 OEM license for business computer, is it legal

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by windows.seven, Jan 9, 2016.

1. windows.seven

windows.seven MDL Member

Sep 14, 2011
    I want to add a new computer to my office network and was thinking of taking an assembled PC and putting Win 7 on this. Instead of using a pirated one with Daz I was checking if some licenses are available at low cost and it seems online sites in India have the OEM version of Win 7 Pro available for half the price of retail versions. Are these legal? I understand that I cannot transfer this to any other computer. But is this any better than buying an MSDN key from say Reddit for even lesser price or just activating with Daz loader.

2. urie

urie Moderator
    Staff Member

May 21, 2007
    Yes you can buy official OEM: none SLP windows versions they can also be called system builder versions. Whether they are legal that depends on where you buy it from.

3. 100

100 MDL Expert

May 17, 2011
    Also depends on local legislation. In Germany for example it's permitted by law to transfer OEM licenses to other machines, even when Microsoft's EULA says otherwise.

Buying keys online is stupid as in legal terms you'd still be running a pirated copy. Waste of money.

4. bigbadjohn

bigbadjohn MDL Novice

Sep 26, 2010
    Use Daz it's worked for me for 8 years

Gates does not need the money

5. urie

urie Moderator
    Staff Member

May 21, 2007
    You missed the whole subject i,e, legit :biggrin:

6. Joe C

Joe C MDL Guru

Jan 12, 2012
    Newegg sells legal disks w/keys of OEM Windows 7/7 pro starting around $100.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  7. EFA11

EFA11 Avatar Guru

Oct 7, 2010
    I trust the Egg

8. keshkesh

keshkesh MDL Novice

Jan 17, 2011
    mate, if you want it to be legal, both computer parts and license have to be in the same invoice, if they are seperately purchased in different times from the same company and you have 60 days -not sure could be less- to register your license's invoice to your build's invoice.

If you buy build and (oem) license from different companies, it wont be genuine. (It will be activated for sure, but MS wants both must be purchased from same company)

9. Joe C

Joe C MDL Guru

Jan 12, 2012
    #9 Joe C, Feb 3, 2016
    Last edited: Feb 4, 2016

huh????
    You can get a legal disk w/key of Windows 7 OEM and put it on any new/built pc that you want too, as long as the key has never been used before

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  10. Carlos Detweiller

Carlos Detweiller Emperor of Ice-Cream

Dec 21, 2012
    That's only allowed in some legislations, AFAIK.

11. Joe C

Joe C MDL Guru

Jan 12, 2012
    It's in Microsoft's EULA
    Can't speak for other countries, but here in the U.S.

12. keshkesh

keshkesh MDL Novice

Jan 17, 2011
    in our country (Turkey) ppl say that exactly what you say, but I had lots of online & face to face conversation with microsoft licensing team, it is what they say. If it is an old pc buy Kit, if it is new, buy OS from where you bought. If it is new, and you installed pirated copy, then you need to buy Kit again.
    They also say if you buy oem from somewhere else (or use oem on old pc) , it'll be genuine but only on the fly, on paper it is not legal anyway.