buying a new computer

Discussion in 'PC Hardware' started by avi hatotach, Oct 30, 2016.

1. avi hatotach

avi hatotach MDL Novice

Oct 25, 2016
    Hello
    I am interested in buying a new computer.
    My main activity is copying files from the hard drives to removable drives.
    My main requirement is that the computer be a super-fast copier.
    Since I mainly use portable drives that support the USB 2.0 standard,
    I do not need a motherboard that supports USB 3.0 standard,
    but I want the computer to provide support in all of the bandwidth of the USB 2.0, in other words, that the copying speed should be 480 MB/s.
    The question is whether upgrading the PCIe to USB 3.0 or 3.1 will improve the speed of copying.

2. sebus

sebus MDL Guru

Jul 23, 2008
    These two are contradictions!

USB2 is SLOW, and nothing will change it. If your destination is USB2 ONLY, then this is the limiting factor!

No matter what you get, it will never be any faster if using only USB2. Plain & simple

3. Ming_the_Merciless

Ming_the_Merciless MDL Member

Feb 7, 2014
    In addition to what sebus posted, don't forget that all maximum transfer rates are theoretical and seldom achieved in the real world. Theoretically, my USB 3.0 ports and drives should be 10x faster, yet my real world file transfer rates are closer to only 4x. Am I pissed? No, I realize it's theoretical and I'm damn happy with a 4x increase.

4. John Sutherland

John Sutherland MDL Addicted

Oct 15, 2014
    Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  5. Muerto

Muerto MDL Debugger

Mar 7, 2012
    #6 Muerto, Oct 30, 2016
    Last edited: Jan 14, 2021

6. John Sutherland

John Sutherland MDL Addicted

Oct 15, 2014
    Holy Quacamole! 28 USB ports! Now I'll have to go out and buy 26 more USB devices so I can use it. :D

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  7. Michaela Joy

Michaela Joy MDL Crazy Lady

Jul 26, 2012
    IIRC, USB 3 is downward compatible with USB 2. The interface just runs at the slower rate.

If you buy a USB 3 MoBo, you may have problems installing a Windows 7. There's a thread around here about Windows 7 and USB3.

If you're going to use Windows 10, then the driver issue is not a problem.

@John: Yup. :D

@Enthousiast: Got A link to that beauty? :)

8. Joe C

Joe C MDL Guru

Jan 12, 2012
    If you getting a new pc, then odds are very good that it will have 3.0 usb posts and no upgrading from 2.0 is required

2000 euro's for that usb box....hmmmmm

9. avi hatotach

avi hatotach MDL Novice

Oct 25, 2016
    Anyway maybe someone has a recommendation on what improvement I could put in the computer to make it at maximum speed that the removable device gives

10. Katzenfreund

Katzenfreund MDL Expert

Jul 15, 2016
    The answers to the OP question have covered what I had to say on it. All I can add is that, however you may feel now about your narrowly defined requirements, when you buy a new computer you should also consider many more parameters, which will prove important in time.

11. MS_User

MS_User MDL Guru

Nov 30, 2014
    if looking for a laptop....$900 will buy u something real nice with the speed your looking for.

12. Tiger-1

Tiger-1 MDL Guru

Oct 18, 2014
    @QB I think in another use for it :devil:

13. HankMarvin

HankMarvin MDL Novice

Nov 17, 2016
    That's a much better approach to technical life than me. Whenever I look at the actual download speed I get from my 'Broadband' as distinct from the theoretical speed I'm supposed to be at least approaching it just makes me mad.

14. Michaela Joy

Michaela Joy MDL Crazy Lady

Jul 26, 2012
    If the host is fast and the device is fast, then your transfers will be fast. If the device is slow, then the fastest USB host in the world will not matter.
    The moral of this story: Not only do you need to pick a computer with USB 3 ports, you also need USB 3 compatible devices to achieve anywhere near maximum rates.

The same thing holds true with Internet speeds. If the remote site is slow, you can have Fiber on your end and you will still be running slow.

That's the reality of it. :)

15. Hadron-Curious

Hadron-Curious MDL Guru

Jul 4, 2014
    Even if you have the right things in place the real world speed is still usually going to be lower than the purported one written on the label or body of the hardware.