Buying Product Key within Windows 8?

Discussion in 'Windows 8' started by SeraphX17, Sep 4, 2012.

1. SeraphX17

SeraphX17 MDL Novice

Aug 20, 2012
    Last time I checked, when one attempted to buy a new product key (after giving them a valid credit card) it would just give you an invalid key and not charge your card. Is this still the case?

2. Rock Hunter

Rock Hunter MDL Senior Member

Dec 6, 2011
    I understand that Windows 8 will go on sale October 26th. Until then I don't think you can "buy" a key.

3. zokstar

zokstar MDL Novice

Aug 24, 2012
    yeh i've tried this, and it just errors out. Pretty sure this feature wont be enabled to that date

4. djjonastybe

djjonastybe MDL Novice

Oct 13, 2009
    I don't understand why microsoft sucks so much. Maybe they want to see how the first leaked keys are doing before releasing the official stuff.

I think I am going to buy Windows 8 (not the pro or enterprise). There is no reason for me to pay those extra euro's or dollars. Even if I am an IT guy and I want those nasty features. Money is more important. If it works it works. If someone finds a foolproof method to activate Windows 8 that will always work without trouble I might reconsider not buying it. I have been using Windows Vista and 7 for free for 8 years thanks to MDL. Now it's time to help Microsoft a bit. I dont want to see Mac win the world with expensive stuff.

5. BigW

BigW MDL Member

Apr 25, 2010
    Well I think MS is building up a hype arround Windows 8. Like Apple do this for there products. Many people only buy product which are hip! Apple has perfected this stategy or do you think Apple sells this much if all the people knew, that they are buying for not the realy latest in technology to much compared to competitors. The only thing Apple makes uniqu is, that there product look better than the products of the competitors, but shiny and very good looking crap is at the end of the day only crap and no marketing can change that.

MS is dooing this on purpose to build up the hype. They only need 3 month to put a retail box into the store but buying in reallife stores is getting extinxt for software products. If MS wanted they could make digital only GA in one month, but the larger the (digital) line the bigger is the hype the more people buy. Marketing one on one - direkt from Apples playbook stolen :D

6. Sapp

Sapp MDL Novice

Oct 22, 2010
    Would gladly support M$ only they knew how to do things right.
    If the day comes when they treat people in a similar way as when Win2K XP was new...Sure ;)
    Until then I'm afraid we have to get used to even more brave charades, were brands and customers get locked out from using their services in one way or another. Only imagination shows the borders for these marketing tricks, perhaps we should be happy for having Apple looking after us when there's so few who have what it takes learning M$ a lesson. Well it's always free let them know your opinion by your own wallet.

7. BigW

BigW MDL Member

Apr 25, 2010
    Is Apple so much better in this regards? I think Apple is way worse in this regards and overall way more expensive for there shiny hip products which got pushed by there way better margeting.

8. hybridseries

hybridseries MDL Novice

Aug 16, 2012
    I may be mistaken, but I think it would actually cost you more to get the basic version of Windows 8 than it would to get Pro (at least during the promo period.) They haven't mentioned promotional pricing for anything other than Pro (with free Media Center), so an upgrade to Pro would be $40 while an upgrade to basic Windows 8 would be full price (theoretically.)

That's assuming that you're buying an upgrade, of course.

Also, as an aside, why would they sell product keys for the software before it was on the market? They did preorders with Windows 7, but those were retail copies... you still couldn't buy digital copies or product keys until after the software had actually been released.

9. Sapp

Sapp MDL Novice

Oct 22, 2010
    Agree absolutely and I don't using any of Apples products myself but sometimes we need get a helping hand from other competitive companies or bigger organizations in make Windows better.

I'm not saying that will be the result in next version of Windows as no one knows that but it's good having competition for such a big company like Microsoft from other neighbors in this moment. Especially in speak of the users of workstations and traditional desktop systems which otherwise wouldn't be protected enough when now Microsoft start to play on the mobile market aka "Apples backyard"

Microsoft don't seems to care about these users so I'm glad other does it.