Buying Windows 8 Pro ?

Discussion in 'Windows 8' started by jhan1, Jan 12, 2013.

1. jhan1

jhan1 MDL Novice

Feb 26, 2010
    I am currently running a copy of Windows 8 Pro activated by kms that is good for 180 days. I was thinking of buying a version to have it activated permanently until I read any change of motherboard or processor would not allow me to reinstall and activate.

I tend to change my hardware somewhat often, so as I understand it any change will mean a new purchase of Windows 8. Is this correct?

2. BTOR

BTOR MDL Addicted

Nov 18, 2009
    No a call to MS is more than enough.

3. jayblok

jayblok MDL Guru

Dec 26, 2010
  4. PaulDesmond

PaulDesmond MDL Magnet

Aug 6, 2009
    #4 PaulDesmond, Jan 12, 2013
    Last edited: Jan 12, 2013
    reactivating against a KMS server does the job as well for both W8 and office if installed :D (Server must be available or a heldi tool somewhere on the machine ... lol)

5. Shenj

Shenj MDL Expert

Aug 12, 2010
    You will have no issues re-activating, if your key ever stops working you simply call MS and they unlock your Key or give you a new one, it really depends on the situation what you get but.. if you are legit you sure will always get your windows machine activated, MS won't tell you "you activated too often" ever.

If you want to go legit, buy a Key before 31. January, after that date the Price will be around $199 for Pro.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  6. jhan1

jhan1 MDL Novice

Feb 26, 2010
    Thanks all, that clears that up :) Where is a good place to buy a key cheap ?

7. parapher

parapher MDL Senior Member

Nov 6, 2012
    Quick question: has anyone here bought an upgrade license of Win8 Pro 'just to have it' but without any specific hardware configuration/machine to put it on yet, with an eye on getting a future machine installed with Win8 Pro (even if you'd have to call MS to get that key activated on that particular machine)? I was just thinking about that because in many cases people have to call MS anyway when they have a problem activating. It wouldn't be a bad deal to do that, to have some 'extra' licenses laying around.

8. Proxus01

Proxus01 MDL Novice

Jan 14, 2013
    I did this, bought two for future use.

9. greffa

greffa MDL Novice

Aug 10, 2010
    "If you want to go legit, buy a Key before 31. January, after that date the Price will be around $199 for Pro."

Wonder how many of the 60 million sales MS are claiming are extra cheap upgrade copies people have bought to sell unused on ebay later?

10. rrohela

rrohela MDL Expert

Sep 1, 2009
    Same here & will use those keys later..

11. d5t6

d5t6 MDL Novice

Jan 23, 2013
    Sorry to bump, but I was wondering... is it possible to install the Windows 8 Pro upgrade from scratch by doing some magic trick or something ? I'm thinking about wiping by drive clean and then install a legit version of Win8. Since the upgrade is so damn cheap, I don't want to spend the extra cash for the full version.

Thanks ! :D

12. Dolorous Edd

Dolorous Edd MDL Expert

Aug 31, 2009
    Don't forget folks that the new licensing terms for OEM system builders have been relaxed a bit. You can migrate hardware and you can sell it. Review the EULA to be sure it works for you.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  13. Dolorous Edd

Dolorous Edd MDL Expert

Aug 31, 2009
    We bought 5 upgrades. Plus I have 2 technet keys from a basic technet account that I use on a couple of test rigs. Supposedly they expire if I do not renew my account but for the price I would probably just let it expire and purchase a brand new account and get fresh keys.

14. Bat Man

Bat Man MDL Novice

Dec 31, 2012
    Baught 3 keys...2 from the upgrade and 1 from the Dreamsperk Premium....hope will get 2 more lol

:D