bye bye 7, hello 10 (kind of)

Discussion in 'Windows 10' started by wazzock, Jan 11, 2017.

1. wazzock

wazzock MDL Senior Member

Oct 22, 2016
    I have just been testing out a heavily shrunken 10 Pro(my preferred choice is LTSB) 14393.577, i just need to adapt the configuration for that.

It is slim and fast(have disabled some of the few remaining services) and good enough to replace 7 as my main system. Need to sort a theme out for it yet, but i dont mind fiddling about.

The awful start menu(which sucks monkey balls) is gone and ive got the jump list(i think thats its name) left, which with a few desktop shortcuts, is workable enough. I prefer to find workable solutions without resorting to 3rd party start menu tools and themes things. The only 3rd party thingy i use is 7 Taskbar Tweaker(which i used on 7 anyway).

But i wont use 10 for internet though, i need 7 for that. Oh well, never a free lunch, but perfectly accepetable for my needs. :)

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  2. PhaseDoubt

PhaseDoubt MDL Expert

Dec 24, 2011
    I'm just curious, why not use Windows 10 to access the internet?

3. wazzock

Oct 22, 2016
    Because i dont trust MS, even with LTSB. The only way to stop ET phoning home is to cut the phone line, so w10 offline only.

It is much quicker and easier for me to use a bareboned 7 for internet than linux.

As i have 2 partitions on my only pc, 1 offline, 1 online, having 2 OS's isnt a problem.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  4. gnugeek

gnugeek MDL Member

Nov 23, 2009
    Windows 7 has already inherited all the telemetry and phoning home facilities from last 2 years worth of updates. So your excuse to use Windows 7 is a poor one.

5. endbase

endbase MDL Guru

Aug 12, 2012

Sometimes people just don't know that fact and come here to talk about telemetry and windows 10 no big deal ;)

6. Espionage724

Espionage724 MDL Expert

Nov 7, 2009
    #7 Espionage724, Jan 12, 2017
    Last edited: Jan 12, 2017
    Simplix update pack + abbodi1406's telemetry block script handles most, if not all of the telemetry pretty easily. What's Windows 10's-equivalent to that? A choice out of the dozen 3rd-party GUI programs or mega-scripts with varying levels of blocking/prevention/break-some-crucial-OS-feature with no guarantees of it actually holding up/not breaking long-term, or spending months becoming a scholar of Windows and figuring out how to tip-toe around all of that by yourself?

Sure, 7 as-is without any intervention likely matches 10's level of spyware, but 7 is also much easier to tame.

7. wazzock

Oct 22, 2016
    7 bareboned, with networking, 1.3gb installed, no pagefile, hibernation off, 1 user account.

I wont get that close on w10.

There is more code in there and some things cant be removed, some things can only be removed on a live system. More depedencies.

Even if i only use 1 OS, i still need 2 different configurations. I can create an updated w7 image and clean install every month, a couple of hours work. Easier than getting to grips with linux.

8. wazzock

Oct 22, 2016
    My PC, My time, My way of working.

9. Oz

Oz MDL Expert

Sep 1, 2009
    If you do not like people to comment, maybe next time keep your views to yourself?

10. wazzock

Oct 22, 2016
    Why criticise someones way of working, then criticise them when they reply to that?

I am merely sharing my findings after spending a lot of time avoiding 10 because of the privacy issue.

Seeing as you have nothing positive to bring to the thread, maybe You should keep Your views to Yourself.

11. wazzock

Oct 22, 2016
    Forums are full of views. Using your logic Oz, mebbe MDL should ditch the forum format altogether and just be a series of How To guides.

12. endbase

endbase MDL Guru

Aug 12, 2012
    How to help people and get helped then ? I understand that the tone on the MDL forum can be nasty from some people but is it not an community forum here maybe I see it wrong or right I don't realy care mostly how people react it is al in the ego game I guess don't let youself get distracted from pointing out your view ;)

13. wazzock

Oct 22, 2016
    Maybe i should ssip off altogether and not share my knowledge with others when i have learnt everything from forums. That is just take take take. Suits me fine, costs me less each month.

14. PhaseDoubt

PhaseDoubt MDL Expert

Dec 24, 2011

Do you think Windows 7 doesn't "phone home"?

15. PhaseDoubt

PhaseDoubt MDL Expert

Dec 24, 2011
    I don't think you were being especially criticized, just questioned. You came here for help and to maybe obtain enhanced understanding and one way many people attempt to help is by trying to fully understand what your problem is. The same applies to misunderstandings and misconceptions. Some people can be a little blunter than others, but you know ... you did request their help and that means taking the "good" along with the "bad".

16. Michaela Joy

Michaela Joy MDL Crazy Lady

Jul 26, 2012
    @wazzock: There's a thin line between constructive criticism and acerbic retort. Some will cross that line.

Best to just take it with a grain of salt.

If you don't, you'll be battling the world at large.

17. Mutagen

Mutagen MDL Addicted

Feb 18, 2013
    #19 Mutagen, Jan 12, 2017
    Last edited: Jan 12, 2017
    Is there going to be a fight? If so, let's set up some tag team action in Chit Chat:

Bat.1 & lobo11 vs. Oz & wazzock

(J/K - I hope) :)

And a Pinto on cinder blocks for each member of the winning team!

18. Michaela Joy

Michaela Joy MDL Crazy Lady

Jul 26, 2012
    OMG! Where's my popcorn!