bypass hyper-v detection???

Discussion in 'Virtualization' started by vasya, Oct 19, 2012.

1. vasya

vasya MDL Novice

Jul 30, 2009
    Hi,

is there any way to bypass hyper-v detection??? :worthy:

2. Myrrh

Myrrh MDL Expert

Nov 26, 2008
    What are you talking about?

Detection of what, within what?

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. roirraW "edor" ehT

roirraW "edor" ehT MDL Addicted

Sep 1, 2007
    Do you mean bypass SLAT detection for use in Hyper-V? AFAIK, no, but if you install Windows Server 2012 instead of Windows 8, Server lets you use Hyper-V without SLAT at all unlike W8.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  4. vasya

vasya MDL Novice

Jul 30, 2009
    some programs does not want to work on virtual pc (hyper-v) so question is : how to make it work and bypass hyper-v detection :nono2:

5. Myrrh

Myrrh MDL Expert

Nov 26, 2008
    I would guess that it depends on the program. There are probably many ways a program could figure out it is in a virtualized machine. Existence of synthetic drivers; asking the CPU to do something that can't be done except on real hardware; etc.

Tell us your specific programs that are having this trouble, maybe someone has an idea.

6. vasya

vasya MDL Novice

Jul 30, 2009
    with RemoteFX power it not so bad to play some games on the go...

last game I was trying to start was BF3....

is there any way to se how it's checks????

7. PGHammer

PGHammer MDL Senior Member

Oct 14, 2011
    The biggest issue with Hyper-V (on Windows 8, that is) is the requirement for SLAT - while newer i-series CPUs (in fact, anything from first-generation up - the only exceptions I'm even aware of are CeleronG and PentiumG, and I'm not sure there) support SLAT, their older three-digit-LGA-socketed ancestors don't. (In short, LGA1366/1156/1155 are fine, but LGA775 and older are not.) Said issue is further compounded by the issue not affecting Windows Server - at all. (My desktop is currently built around the Intel Q6600 - an LGA775 CPU. It supports the Intel64 architecture, hence it can run Windows Server just fine; remember, Windows Server hasn't supported x32 since Server 2003. An optional feature of all versions of Windows Server (except Home Server) is Hyper-V - Hyper-V in Server 2012 is exactly identical to that of Windows 8; in fact, Server 2012 was called Windows 8 Server. There IS one major advantage with Server 2012 as an OS compared to Windows 8 (if you want/need virtualization support) - no SLAT requirement.) Fortunately, Windows Server requires no more hard drive space than does *desktop* Windows - my Server 2012 drive is an old 80GB WD SATA HDD. (Naturally, I don't park virtual machines and VHDs there - I use my far-larger Windows 8 HDD for this - and yes, you certainly can do this; the other reason is so when I finally DO move to SLAT-compliant hardware, I simply point Windows 8's Hyper-V Manager at the VMs it's been hosting, but been unable to use itself, and import away.)