Can a broken MotherBoard still detect if there is no RAM??

Discussion in 'PC Hardware' started by lv1n, Jul 11, 2011.

1. lv1n

lv1n MDL Novice

Jul 11, 2011
    Hi and Good Day to all!
    I just sent my laptop to a repair shop because a damage caused by a bad bios update, and was told that, i have to wait for 2days so they can check it. Before I sent is, I tried to fix it, with the crisis recovery procedure, but was unsuccessful. So what I did was remove the RAM, and check if the laptop could still detect it, and it did(it beeped). Just wanna ask if that would assure me that the motherboard is still okay, it just needs a bios recovery. Coz on my way home, a thought bothered me that what if the repair guys end up destroying my laptop even more. Thanks if ever someone give an opinion.:confused:

2. lv1n

lv1n MDL Novice

Jul 11, 2011
    Unfortunately its not a warranty repair anymore, the repair shop I sent it to has a good standing here in our place, so i think they could be trusted. Just needed something to assure myself that the board is still fine, :)... Thanks for that.

3. bp1

bp1 MDL Member

May 11, 2009
    I had a fujisu laptop which failed and got a corrupt bios. I repaired this after failing all the crisis recovery methods by buying a eeprom programmer. Luckily this laptop had a PLCC32 chip which was in a socket so easily removable.
    Pretty sure that your motherboard will be ok.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  4. neomatrix

neomatrix MDL Junior Member

Jul 20, 2009
    as u said after remopving RAM MB, it beeped then ur MB is ok, u just need to repair ur Bad BIOS.

if there are some good guys then there should be no reason to trust on them.

5. lv1n

lv1n MDL Novice

Jul 11, 2011
    I'm pretty sure its a bad bios update, because the laptop was working fine, except for the wireless lan card that can't be detected, before I updated the BIOS. Right after the BIOS update shut down the computer, it won't boot anymore.

I just called the repair shop, and they told me that the MB was the problem, that is what I'm worried about, cause they got a lot of customers when I went there and the idea of them not even bothering to check it came to me.:mad: Hope it isn't the motherboard still.
    Could a bad bios update really damage the motherboard?. I know a little about this things, so really think that the mother board detecting when there is no RAM in it, indicates that its hardware is ok.

6. mobsta

mobsta MDL Novice

Feb 21, 2010
    Even if it is a corrupt BIOS most computer repair shops wouldn't be able to desolder(that's assuming it's soldered on to MB) the BIOS chip and repair or replace it to make it work. They will just swap it with a new one or a good used unit. It all comes down to Cost VS GAIN. If it was for myself I would try repairing it. if it was for a customer it would be more cost effective and quicker specially if I had to desolder the BIOS chip. This is my personal opinion and the situation in Australia, could be different where you are. Good luck with it anyway.

7. portlandbear

portlandbear MDL Novice

May 21, 2011
    I'm pretty sure that the beep codes are generated by the BIOS, as different BIOS types generate different codes.

8. lv1n

lv1n MDL Novice

Jul 11, 2011
    Thanks for the responses! I got the laptop back now, and I'm positive now that the only they they did was "minor" troubleshooting. Because of desperation,:eek: I dug differ in the bios recovery thread, and finally got it.:bananajoj2: .....
    But now, I encountered a new problem, my laptop boots up, but it suddenly shuts down. The farthest it got was up to the windows loading screen. What could have caused this?, and a solution?. I would really appreciate the help, especially that I'm very psyched right now after being able to recover my bios.:biggrin::p:bananajoj2::thumbsup::tasty:

9. bp1

bp1 MDL Member

May 11, 2009
    Great work you recovered your bios.
    First thing to recommend is go into the bios and set the "Load defaults"
    Second thing update your bios to the latest on the manufacturer website. (Unmodded)
    Third - I'm wondering with all the problems has the OS boot become corrupt. Might be worth a try to go to the hard disk manufacture site and download their diagnostics software to run in dos to check the hdd.
    If the data on your HDD is not important why not just stick the OS cd in and try the repair recovery options.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  10. bp1

bp1 MDL Member

May 11, 2009
    Really sorry- Forgot to mention in my post above.
    Is the correct setting for you hdd in the bios correct eg AHCI or IDE

check that first