Can a Firewall be used to block any and all contact with microsoft ?

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by Melvarius, Oct 3, 2009.

1. Melvarius

Melvarius MDL Novice

Sep 21, 2009
    I was bored last night so I read the E.U.L.A for windows 7. Sad but enlightening lol.

I did not like what i read and want to disconnect my computer from Microsoft altogether. if that is possible. I do not agree to be spied on. Thanks, but no thanks!

I'd imagine that Microsoft can hijack any internet connection to "phone home" and spy on my system and change it behind my back.

so if anyone can enlighten me. I'd be grateful of the assistance.

And finally. This little ambiguous clause caught my eye.

11.DOCUMENTATION. Any person that has valid access to your computer or internal network may copy and use the documentation for your internal, reference purposes.

errm Microsoft has given themselves valid access to your computer etc. so does that mean they can copy and use your documents? It's not very specific about which documentation it refers to (theirs or yours)

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  2. alextheg

alextheg MDL Expert

Jan 7, 2009
    I would imagine there are only two ways of doing this. 1, disconnect from the internet forever. 2, Find every single I.P. Address that MS use and block them all in your firewall. Neither idea is going to work and at any rate i wouldnt be so paranoid. :)

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. FABIGUI

FABIGUI MDL Member

Jun 2, 2007
    Melvarius If you bought the OS this situation is really sad. In other case nothing in this world is completly free!!! But they said that all this information will not be use to identify you!!!

4. Voiture Lumiere

Voiture Lumiere MDL Member

May 31, 2009
    Assuming they have all the time to go through every single PC in the world without breaking laws of some countries.;)

5. twiz

twiz MDL Senior Member

Jul 30, 2009
    I'm no lawyer, but...

"the documentation" my guess refers to the various Windows documentation, like the EULA you are reading, as opposed to personal files which are your personal property.

"your" as in "your internal" refers to YOU, the End-User.
    "internal, reference purposes" also implies personal use, possibly allowing for use in a court case for you or your client (who is an end-user) or someone you represent (who is an end-user).

6. Lenmaer

Lenmaer MDL Addicted

Jul 3, 2009
    Simply use Linux, so you won't have to deal with microsoft.

7. twiz

twiz MDL Senior Member

Jul 30, 2009
    Yeah... you'll get a whole new set of issues to deal with...

8. Melvarius

Melvarius MDL Novice

Sep 21, 2009
    cool guys. it was just a thought. But I still don't like the idea of anyone reserving the right to stick their nose in where it's not welcome.

nuff said

thanks anyway guys xx

9. msr

msr MDL Senior Member

Dec 27, 2007
    #9 msr, Oct 3, 2009
    Last edited: Oct 3, 2009
    MS do not care about laws, lol.

Being spied on, you have no idea what the government etc can do. MS aleady are doing massive projects spying on people, and stealing everything from them. Mind control tech is available to anyone at the right price, and these people have no care.

Thats why i have 1 computer that does not go on the net, they know whats on it anyway, but who cares.

10. spacednow

spacednow MDL Member

Aug 26, 2009
    I need a new mind controller, mines defective :D

11. msr

msr MDL Senior Member

Dec 27, 2007
    Maybe you should be careful what you wish for.

12. secr9tos

secr9tos MDL Addicted

Jul 28, 2009
    Use a hardware firewall and block every m$ ip or as mentioned above move to Linux ex. Ubuntu

13. HotCarl

HotCarl MDL Addicted

Jul 21, 2009
    #13 HotCarl, Oct 3, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 20, 2017
  14. Phazor

Phazor MDL Expert

Sep 1, 2009
    #14 Phazor, Oct 3, 2009
    Thats because the computer connects to this IP via svchost.exe, which has to be allowed for your network to function.

To allow only parts of svchost to connect, set the 'Alert Frequency Level' of Comodo to 'Very High'. (Located under Advanced/FirewallBehaviourSettings/AlertSettings.) Then you will be asked for each and every connection attempt svchost is trying to make, including the microsoft IP you mentioned.

(I personally only allow svchost to connect to my ISPs DNS server at port 53...)

NOTE: To be asked after you changed the alert settings, delete the svchost entry from 'Application Rules'. Then a new one will be made with whatever answers you give. Once you have allowed your DNS server (and whatever else svchost should have access to) add a new rule Block:IP:In/Out:FromAny:ToAny and you wont be bothered anymore...

15. Melvarius

Melvarius MDL Novice

Sep 21, 2009
  16. Melvarius

Melvarius MDL Novice

Sep 21, 2009
    thanks for the "how to" Phazor.

17. Phazor

Phazor MDL Expert

Sep 1, 2009
    Youre welcome.

BTW, under Vista it is 65.55.119.90

There may be others, but on my PC this was the only microsoft IP svchost tried to connect to...

18. HotCarl

HotCarl MDL Addicted

Jul 21, 2009
    #18 HotCarl, Oct 3, 2009
    Ummm...that is what I had set it up as from the minute I installed comodo (see picture)...and never got a message. Don't know what to tell you. Thanks for the FYI, but I already have Comodo set to very high and have everything checked...because I like to know everything that is happening in the background...and was still getting connections to 65.55.158.80...and comodo was not popping up Block/Allow windows to disallow the connection.

...I am not bothered anymore though because I added an entry in my 'hosts' file...and now no more strange connection to MS. My custom hosts file has over 100 entries in it for various ad/banner sites and to block IPs I don't want my PC to connect to. ;)

Thanks for the input though, I am sure that will be very helpful to others. :)

Attached Files:

19. Lenmaer

Lenmaer MDL Addicted

Jul 3, 2009
    IP 65.55.158.80 is the the Event Viewer Reporting service. The service is there to offer advice about problems on your computer.

20. HotCarl

HotCarl MDL Addicted

Jul 21, 2009
    Strange, because I have been using event viewer (had to troubleshoot issues with an older application) and have had no issues with the blocked IP affecting anything noticeable...and I had multiple connections (like over 10) going to that IP... :confused: