Can a windows 7 upgrade be moved to another PC?

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by Vidmeir, Oct 8, 2009.

1. Vidmeir

Vidmeir MDL Novice

Oct 2, 2009
    Can a windows 7 upgrade be moved to another PC, ie a new motherboard? Or is it tied to a single motherboard like windows OEM?

Thanks

Sorry if this question has been answered, but I've searched and search this forum, many other forums, googled and still can not find this answer.

2. twiz

twiz MDL Senior Member

Jul 30, 2009
    What do you mean?
    Like Install Windows 7 on one PC and then copy the files to a different PC?

Yes and no...
    You could, but there are drivers for all your hardware (various motherboard parts, sound, video, harddrives etc) which would most likely cause issues and need to be resolved...
    It would also de-activate your Windows since the hardware changes are over the threshold.
    So while you COULD do it, it's just easier to install it on the other PC.

3. HSChronic

HSChronic MDL Expert

Aug 25, 2007
    upgrade functions like a retail copy, it is not tied to a BIOS or anything like that.

4. Vidmeir

Vidmeir MDL Novice

Oct 2, 2009
    Driver's won't be an issue.
    I want to only use it on one pc at a time, if I rebuild my PC next year, ect. I want to be able to use the same key, ie the new motherboard question.
    OEM technically won't allow this, depends on how well you can convince the MS tech over the phone to reactivate the key.

Thanks, this is the information I was looking for, but do you have a posted source you can refer me to?

5. Vidmeir

Vidmeir MDL Novice

Oct 2, 2009
    Bump, any other insight on this?

6. Lenmaer

Lenmaer MDL Addicted

Jul 3, 2009
    If you go into the computer property, is it written OEM in your activation status?
    If so, then it probably won't work.

7. Vidmeir

Vidmeir MDL Novice

Oct 2, 2009
    Well I haven't installed/ received the upgrade copy. I couldn't pass up the $30 student Windows Pro deal. I have to wait until 10/22. I have a way to do a clean install to a bare partition with the upgrade, so I was hoping it would act like a retail copy. But I wanted to confirm before I install and activate it, otherwise I'll just used the RTM and save the key if/until the day comes MS can stop the loaders/bios mods.

If only MS would sell retail keys at a reasonable price.

8. Mr Jinje

Mr Jinje MDL Expert

Aug 19, 2009
    #8 Mr Jinje, Oct 9, 2009
    Last edited: Oct 9, 2009
    Yes, you can upgrade an existing machine, assuming you can manage running sysprep on that machine. Sysprep will make the image Hardware Independent, now capture that image back into .WIM format using IMAGEX.

You can use that sysprepped image on any machine, and have 100% of your settings and applications installed on first boot. I am not sure if Microsoft has any protection against upgraded images, but c'mon, Microsoft drops the ball on the daily, chances are good they missed this too.

But then again, sysprep is kinda complicated, and I don't really want you messing up your Vista machine just for a guess. Make an Acronis image before you do anything, it might take a few tries to get sysprep working the way you like.

9. Vidmeir

Vidmeir MDL Novice

Oct 2, 2009
    Maybe I'm not being clear, my question is about activation, not the physical upgrade process.

Does Windows 7 Upgrade activate like OEM or Retail.

"HSChronic" stated it activates like Retail, but did not include any way to verify this information.

10. HotCarl

HotCarl MDL Addicted

Jul 21, 2009
    #10 HotCarl, Oct 9, 2009
    Last edited: Oct 9, 2009
    In my experience, Windows upgrades are retail copies requiring online activation after installation...
    If you have an upgrade copy of Windows that came with its own key, it is pretty much guaranteed to be a retail key. You will be able to tell because after you upgrade and give Windows the key, it will tell you that you have to activate your copy of Windows...

EDIT: If you don't believe HSChronic or I, then install the upgrade yourself...or install it fresh on a PC (like you said you had a way to do...) and when it asks for a key, input your key...shortly thereafter, Windows will ask you to activate your copy... ;)
    Having a retail key is not bad...it is a good thing because you have a fully licensed copy of Windows 7 that requires no BIOS modding or loader to activate...
    I own Windows 7...I bought a copy of Home Premium (that I will receive on Oct.22nd) and have a copy of Professional (free through my MSDNAA account) and both have legit retail keys that will activate my Windows online for as long as I want to use Windows 7. :)

11. Vidmeir

Vidmeir MDL Novice

Oct 2, 2009
    Thanks for the info, quality comments. I wanted firsthand/actual knowledge vs hearsay, thanks again :)