can deleting ei.cfg change checksum

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by baskinghobo, Oct 1, 2009.

1. baskinghobo

baskinghobo MDL Junior Member

Dec 11, 2008
    I did a hash check my it was not the same as microsoft. I downloaded windows 7 from the windows 7 respiratory and burned the iso to my disc, then forgot to delete ei.cfg so i turned the dvd back to an iso and then delete ei.cfg .Is it still safe to install windows 7?

2. engage16

engage16 MDL Junior Member

Jul 30, 2009
    as long as the file WITH the ei.cfg was the same hash then you're all set... deleting or adding anything will change the hash but as long as your doing the editing then you know its safe

3. Voiture Lumiere

Voiture Lumiere MDL Member

May 31, 2009
    If the untouched iso hash matches those from MS then it should be safe.
    If you modified the iso later on for your own use it should still be safe, I doubt anyone will insert malicious content into the own iso they will be using.:)

4. twiz

twiz MDL Senior Member

Jul 30, 2009
    Anytime you change anything in a file, the checksum will change.
    That's the point of a checksum: to verify everything is the same.

If you take asdflmnop and change the o to a 0, the checksum will not match since:
    asdfqwertylmnop =/= asdfqwertylmn0p

However, if your goal is to take asdfqertylmnop and make it the same as asdfqwertylmn0p, then changing the o to a 0 would work since:
    asdfqertylmn0p = asdfqertylmn0p

Since Windows 7 ISOs use the same file across editions (x86 and x64 not included) except for the ei.cfg, you could take a Home Premium ISO, change the ei.cfg file to the EXACT SAME as the Ultimate and make an Ultimate ISO.
    This works because the file you changed is the EXACT SAME as the Ultimate version.
    However, if you add an extra space or empty line, the files will NOT match and you'll wind up with a completely different checksum.