can i change the location to install programs ??

Discussion in 'Windows 8' started by Jonny_doe, Aug 26, 2012.

1. Jonny_doe

Jonny_doe MDL Novice

Mar 22, 2008
    Hello I have a 64gb ssd with windows 8 installed on it , and I would like to install all my programs to d drive which is a 1tb drive , but if can't find any options to do this ... I only want to install the big programs like steam etc. to the bigger drive ..
    can it be done ????

many thanks

2. Drexl

Drexl MDL Junior Member

Aug 9, 2007
    Just get in the habit of choosing the "custom" option whenever you install something. Then you can tell it where you want to install. This is a good idea regardless, as sometimes programs will try to sneak in toolbars and other junk if you click away and use the defaults.

The only thing I install to a different drive is Steam (which will in turn install any games there as well). As long as you store your media files elsewhere, you should be able to put most common applications on the SSD and take advantage of its speed.

3. pisthai

pisthai Imperfect Human

Jul 29, 2009
    You could try the following:
    1. Right click on My Computer or Computer and chose Properties
    2. Click Advanced System Settings
    3. Click Advanced
    4. Click Environment Variables
    From now you've to be very carefully what you change.

You could highlight any of the settings, Edit them and change to new variables.

One thing you'll need to do as well: You'll need to copy the Folders:
    1. Program Files
    2. Program Files (x86)
    3. ProgramData
    to that drive you chose for your future installation of programs. You have to change the regarding settings as well. You maybe have to do the same for &USERPROFILE%\AppData\Local\Temp

Again, if you really would to change that, be very carefully and triple check every changes done!

Hope that answers what you were asking for.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  4. Puremin0rez

Puremin0rez MDL Senior Member

Nov 24, 2010
    If you only want to put some applications on your bigger drive (like steam games), use Junction Points! They're very useful for SSD owners (and whatnot).

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  5. Tito

Tito Super Mod / Adviser
    Staff Member

Nov 30, 2009
  6. jayblok

jayblok MDL Guru

Dec 26, 2010
    As far as i know, every software ask me where to install, except chrome, but why would i want chrome anywhere besides my ssd? When i install a PC game, it always ask me where to install, so i just make a folder on the hard drive and install game there

7. Puremin0rez

Puremin0rez MDL Senior Member

Nov 24, 2010
  8. pisthai

pisthai Imperfect Human

Jul 29, 2009
    That's just true! But: To many user's are to (?) lazy or even didn't reading the what's written in the setup info boxes!

And I realy understand that those user's, who using small SSD drives, will need to take a close eye on what's installed in the C Drive. Just take the User Folder as example. My User folder on Windows 8 Enterprise Evaluation has already 10GB after 5 days of using and I didn't use that Windows 8 the whole time just for to check ans testing some apps etc.! Mainly I use Windows 7 Ultimate for my normal working as off now as example. As long as I didn't have an legal activated Windows 8, it's just for testing purpose to use Windows 8. And with just a few Apps installed, even not MS-Office, already 47.3GB of the hdd is in use. So, for small SSD's it makes sense to relocate as much as possible to an different drive. With an automated system, you don't have to worry about the space anymore.