Can I clone a typical 2-partition Windows 7 install into 1 partition?

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by Fuji, Nov 2, 2010.

1. Fuji

Fuji MDL Novice

Nov 8, 2009
    I have a hard drive with a typical 2-partition Windows 7 install. It has the 100MB partition and then the main data partition. Well, I bought a larger hard drive and I don't want to reinstall Windows 7, my programs, etc. with the new drive. I just want to clone the old one and go.

Do I need to make a separate 100MB system partition and clone it separately or can I clone both partitions into a new single larger one?

2. Phazor

Phazor MDL Expert

Sep 1, 2009
    I believe the built-in Windows Backup allows you to do such a migration as it auto-backups/auto-restores the 100MB partition along with C:\

If you prefer to clone from/to directly; newer versions of 3rd party soft like Acronis are aware of the extra partition too...

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. nukkelhet

nukkelhet MDL Novice

Aug 22, 2009
    Hi,
    You could use the program HdClone which clones a complete disc including all it's partitions into a new disc. The result will be a new disc with the same partitions you had.

4. acyuta

acyuta MDL Expert

Mar 8, 2010
    Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  5. urie

urie Moderator
    Staff Member

May 21, 2007
  6. calpo

calpo MDL Member

Apr 23, 2010
    @urie

That's a good one. By the way do you know what kind of software to wipe Disk , I mean Bootable CD Drive Wipe ?

Thanks

7. urie

urie Moderator
    Staff Member

May 21, 2007
    If by disk wipe you mean format MiniTool Partition Wizard can do it you can also make bootable cd or usb thumbdrive.

8. calpo

calpo MDL Member

Apr 23, 2010
    #8 calpo, Nov 3, 2010
    Last edited: Nov 3, 2010
    @urie

I mean a Bootable CD that I want to erase the whole hard disk ... then partition ... format windows again ,,, Just because I got a hard disk from my friend.

9. Fuji

Fuji MDL Novice

Nov 8, 2009
    #9 Fuji, Nov 3, 2010
    Last edited: Nov 3, 2010
    (OP)
    Thanks for all of the great suggestions!

I ended up using a free third-party backup/clone software called EASEUS. I wanted to try the Windows 7 backup version but it was a backup & restore procedure, which I didn't want.

10. Fuji

Fuji MDL Novice

Nov 8, 2009
    If I understand correctly, you want to first wipe the whole hard drive? If so, you can use a program called Darik's Boot and Nuke (DBAN). It can be made into a bootable CD/DVD/USB drive.

11. Tito

Tito Super Mod / Adviser
    Staff Member

Nov 30, 2009
    Yap, but for wiping and partitioning both, I think gparted is better choice....

12. urie

urie Moderator
    Staff Member

May 21, 2007
  13. calpo

calpo MDL Member

Apr 23, 2010
    @urie

Thanks a lot for your info.

Have a good day

14. acyuta

acyuta MDL Expert

Mar 8, 2010
    Please one small query on Partition Wizard. I wanted to resize my primary hard disk (Caviar Black 2 TB) which had C: plus 3 more partitions. Did I do this right:
    1. restored C: to the earliest stage image (basic). Could have kept my PC at present image and then resized but then perhaps earlier images would have been useless. This was a matter of reducing size of c: and not increasing it (had given it perhaps 30-40 GB additional for a total of 150 GB).
    2. Anyway, restored the basic image of C: 150 GB. Was using only 40 GB with perhaps only 5 GB of additional use potential.
    3. Booted from mini-tool partition wizard and resized it to 110 GB and also did some reallocation on other partitions.
    4. applied the changes and took an hour to complete the resizing.
    5. booted back into windows.
    6. installed all software on top of basic image.

Is it fine to resize (in my case reduce the c drive) without compromising on bootability or system performance. Bootability was not an issue since my PC is working fine after resiZing.