Can I fix my broken activation this way?

Discussion in 'Windows Vista' started by F-Forward, Sep 25, 2008.

1. F-Forward

F-Forward MDL Novice

Sep 22, 2008
    Hi there and thanks for a great forum!

So for over a year now I have been using some kind of volume key from my previous work place, and activation and checks have worked fine. But a month back or so an "activating windows..." dialogue started to appear sometimes just to go away the second later. If I was quick enough to click it, I got the information that "this key is currently in use". But there was no issues continuing to use windows. But a couple of days ago I got the notification that my copy of vista wasn't genuine, and that I needed to supply a new key and so on. So there I am today with those annoying pop ups and no working windows update etc.
    I started to look for solutions and I found this forum. So now my question is if it's doable to flash the bios with an fixed one (already found it), use VOATKtool to switch from retail to OEM, install the cert and change to the correct OEM key? That is to save vista and not need to reinstall.
    If it's doable, is it in the correct order, are there any steps I have missed?

Thanks in advance,

Tommy

2. F-Forward

F-Forward MDL Novice

Sep 22, 2008
    nvm, I tried it and it works 100% fine :)