Can I get it to check for updates but not install so I can hide?

Discussion in 'Mobile and Portable' started by Pyr3x, Aug 4, 2015.

1. Pyr3x

Pyr3x MDL Junior Member

Oct 4, 2012
    Can I get it to check for updates but not install so I can hide the drivers causing me issues on my AORUS X5?

I attempted to enable Windows Update Today and it tanked my laptop again... I'm tired of it and I want to hide the drivers but every time I check for updates it just starts installing.

2. P-Dude

P-Dude MDL Novice

Feb 9, 2009
    Doesn't work for me. I can get it to scan without installing, I tried blocking updates between scanning for and installing updates, but these seemingly blocked updates are installed anyway. Only after uninstalling the blocked updates they aren't installed again.

3. panchop

panchop MDL Senior Member

Jul 26, 2009
    Maybe already download to your hard drive. Try deleting the contents of "download" folder on c:\windows\softwaredistribution , stop windows update service and then running the microsoft app. This worked for me and Radeon R7 drivers

4. Pyr3x

Pyr3x MDL Junior Member

Oct 4, 2012
    Same problem here... Once it fires off it does whatever the hell it wants. A nice clean solution would be so nice..

5. The_Guardian

The_Guardian Contributor

May 7, 2012
    Since win10 home doesn't come with policy editor thus why you have no control over updates....question would be can you install policy editor on win10 home so you could change the policies to give you choices? This is what I am looking into now but haven't had a lot of time but I am curious.

6. compgen_1534

compgen_1534 MDL Addicted

Jul 26, 2015
    You can set a metered connection if you're on Wi-Fi and it prevents updates from downloading automatically
    Then use the show/hide tool from Microsoft

You can personally pick your updates by creating a WSUS server and connecting your windows 10 machine to it. :D