Can I get some help from experienced PC guys?

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by yu68, Sep 26, 2009.

1. yu68

yu68 MDL Novice

Sep 26, 2009
    hi everyone, this is my first post. so my friend recently let me use his W7 RTM OEM and i installed it. afterwards, i used the windows1.8 toolkit to activate it. i thought i was done, but when restarted, the "need to activate" message appears again. i spent a good amount of time reading this forum for the first time. ive learned that i could flash a modded bios to make the activation permanent. however, i want to do as much research as possible before i make any mistakes. i want to know that if i flash a modded bios, will i have to reinstall W7? and if i flash the bios, do i use windows1.8 toolkit or something else?

thank you for everyones help.

2. Opa

Opa MDL Addicted

Jul 29, 2009
    #2 Opa, Sep 26, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: May 23, 2017
  3. yu68

yu68 MDL Novice

Sep 26, 2009
    thank you very much for that. thats very reassuring to know that i dont need to touch my bios since im not experienced at it. just another clarification, my MB is MSI Neo 2 FR, does that have any impact? that is, no bios flashing or modding.

4. Opa

Opa MDL Addicted

Jul 29, 2009
    not that I know, should be fine.

5. yu68

yu68 MDL Novice

Sep 26, 2009
    hi, i have a problem when i tried to recover the token.dat and pkeyconfig. i couldnt find the folder where the token.dat and pkeyconfig is. after "network services," i couldnt find the "appdata" folder. any suggestions?

6. yu68

yu68 MDL Novice

Sep 26, 2009
    thank you so much opa. i did what you said and now it appears my windows is activated. im so HAPPY!! in the future when there are updates, i should usually look for them on this site right? also, is there any chance that the activation could backfire for some odd reason?
    again, thank you very much.

7. Reign_Of_Freedom

Reign_Of_Freedom MDL Expert

Aug 1, 2009
    Only real way to ensure you stay activated is a HardMod meaning a BIOS mod.

8. Opa

Opa MDL Addicted

Jul 29, 2009
    how did you get it to work? you said the folder wasn't there, was it because system files were hidden?

regarding updates, as usual you can install anything that come from Windows Updates or microsoft.com with confidence. avoid other sources.

the method used to activate is reliable, there is almost no chance that it could "backfire".

9. yu68

yu68 MDL Novice

Sep 26, 2009
    thanks a lot opa. yeah, i had to show hidden files. reacted too fast. windows 7 is going great despite one problem. theres an unknown device under network adapters that i cant find a driver to or cant disable. its bugging me because its causing my cpu usage to be at 50% constantly. any suggestions on what i should do?