Can I install a 64 bit Windows 7 on a computer with 32 bit Vista?

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by Xarzu, Jan 9, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Xarzu

Xarzu MDL Novice

Nov 28, 2009
    Can I install a 64 bit Windows 7 on a computer that currently has a 32 bit version of Vista? I think that my hardware can handle a 64 bit Operating System. I tried to install a 64 bit version of Windows 7 but the installation program checked my current Operating System and stopped.

Is there any way to override this?

How can I make sure my hardware can handle the 64 bit OS? (I build this computer from scratch)

I do not think this will delete my hard drive. Will it?

2. Michel

Michel MDL Expert

Jul 29, 2009
    If you have a processor that supports 64-bit then there is no problem. What CPU you have anyway ?

3. tweetatoo

tweetatoo MDL Novice

Sep 15, 2009
    Well, to know whether your laptop supports 64-bit version of Windows, you may use a Windows Software called "Everest". Using Everest, look up for if your processor supports 64-bit.
    If you want to upgrade Windows Vista 32-bit to Windows 7 64-bit, unfortunately, you cannot do so. Microsoft did not include 32-bit to 64-bit upgrade option in their installation sets of Windows, however, you may only upgrade form 32-bit to 32-bit or 64-bit to 64-bit, or, you may have a completely new, clean installation of Windows 7 without upgrading, a matter that requires from you that you install the already vista-installed programs again. Using a 3rd party software may not be as efficient as if you had the original way installation from Microsoft.

I hope I could help.

4. urie

urie Moderator
    Staff Member

May 21, 2007
    It aint than hard if you try and install an x64 os and your processor or motherboard dont support it windows will tell you that it can't be installed.

5. whitehat2009

whitehat2009 MDL Member

Aug 1, 2009
    Yes. Or you could just get CPU-Z, which is much lighter than Everest and perfect for this kind of task. If your processor's capabilities list does not include x86-64, then obviously you cannot install 64-bit Windows.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  6. Xarzu

Xarzu MDL Novice

Nov 28, 2009
    That checks out when I compare the requirements for min CPU.

7. sid_16

sid_16 MDL Giveaway Organiser

Oct 15, 2011
    It seems that you found no solution to your question since 9th Jan 2010.:confused:

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  8. PhaseDoubt

PhaseDoubt MDL Expert

Dec 24, 2011
    A large percentage of those who make a plea for help never take the time to report back so the thread can be closed ... which maybe this one should be.