Can I install Win 7 and keep Win 8.1 that's on machine?

Discussion in 'Windows 8' started by jetjock, Dec 6, 2014.

1. jetjock

jetjock MDL Senior Member

Mar 6, 2010
    #1 jetjock, Dec 6, 2014
    Last edited: Dec 6, 2014
    HP laptop came with Win 8.1 installed and no disks: only a restore partition. After playing around with Win 8.1, I decided it did have some neat features so I'd like to leave it on the machine until my daughter (her Christmas present) gets a chance to look at it. Can I add Win 7 Ultimate to Win 8.1 and dual boot, or does Win 7 have to go on before 8.1 (which I can't do--no disks)? If I can, suggestions are always very welcome! Attached, snapshot of drives.

jetjock :plane:

Attached Files:

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  2. cocachris89

cocachris89 MDL Senior Member

Mar 1, 2013
    #2 cocachris89, Dec 7, 2014
    Last edited: Dec 7, 2014
    Yes you definitely can dual boot 8 with 7. It doesnt really matter which OS is installed first. Google has heaps of results that explain how to dual boot 8 with 7

3. kn_andre

kn_andre MDL Novice

Jan 1, 2013
    #3 kn_andre, Dec 7, 2014
    Last edited: Dec 10, 2014
    Though am not much of an Expert in Computers, but from the little i know, you should Disable the Secure Boot Feature on your Computer from BIOS settings, then you Create a New Partition where you will Install Windows 7 and Dual Boot. Or better yet, you could just install Windows 7 on VM ... This is just my 2 cents.. However, am absolutely sure there are Others here on this Forums who are way more Experienced and they will give you a better Solution to Dual boot Windows 8.1 and Windows 7 together.. Good luck and Cheers.