Can i install Windows on ssd via pcie sata controller card/adapter?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by chaoticbeliever, Nov 13, 2018.

Tags:
  1. chaoticbeliever

chaoticbeliever MDL Novice

Nov 12, 2018
    I suspect my onboard SATA port might have a problem because all my storage hdd couldn't be detected.

I thought all my hdd were dying but when i bought hdd docking station, all my hdd can be read and use without any problems.

Today i received bsod which showed critical process died warning and i can't boot it up without having bsod.

So before i invest to buy another motherboard, i would like to try install Windows on ssd via pcie sata controller card/adapter first.

This is my spec: Intel i5-4570 Asrock Z87 extreme3 8gb ddr3 ram Nvidia gtx 770 600w psu

2. Arachnoid

Arachnoid MDL Novice

Sep 6, 2010
    Did you try all the other sata ports and what is showing in the bios regarding sata allocation?

As long as it shows as a bootable device in the bios it should work

3. Yen

Yen Admin
    Staff Member

May 6, 2007
    #3 Yen, Nov 13, 2018
    Last edited: Nov 13, 2018
    I don't get it....

OP firstly said
    Then:
    From where did you boot then the HDD when receiving a BSOD?

Yes, I agree. I firstly would check if it's really a hardware issue and all 6 SATA connectors are really affected.

Boot into BIOS and check there if the new SSD (that is working for sure elsewhere) is responding by its name and model number/ capacity...check any port again...

Alternatively use a DIFFERENT SATA cable (exclude loose connection)...and then try a clean installation IF it has responded at BIOS....

At some BIOSes there is a SATA / drive detect function which has to be run first (scan) after you have changed something that was plugged....

You also can boot into the BIOS twice to have the SATA bus initialized...

TBH it sounds to me like a driver / device issue rather than a SATA on board issue...
    Some new drives require the latest BIOS version, but then it never should have worked before and there would be no BSOD...

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  4. Joe C

Joe C MDL Guru

Jan 12, 2012
    Could be bad sectors on the original drive. You should go to the drives manufacture's web site and get the diagnostic software for that drive from the support link on the web site. This will tell you the health status of the drive to determine if it's going bad. If it comes up in good health then you can start looking into the sata cable or the sata port.
    Just because it works on an external connection does not mean there's nothing wrong with the drive.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  5. pcnavarra

pcnavarra MDL Senior Member

Nov 13, 2017
    If you have a PCIe SATA Controller card and it includes a Boot ROM, you should be able to boot off any drives (or RAID Array, if supported) connected to it.
    you may research if the card you trying to buy! provides support for Legacy boot, UEFI boot or (hopefully) both.

6. Yen

Yen Admin
    Staff Member

May 6, 2007
    #6 Yen, Nov 14, 2018
    Last edited: Nov 14, 2018
    That was my first idea, too.

But then I discarded it because:
    Then I thought (because of BSOD) he might have accidentally disabled the AHCI mode or something...but....

The description of the issue is kinda inconsistent...the BSOD message would be interesting...and why this one is not one of 'all my storage HDDs' it's been obviously detected to boot to BSOD.