Can I restore partitions to my c: drive

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by iMPossibl, Apr 21, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. iMPossibl

iMPossibl MDL Member

Apr 11, 2011
    #1 iMPossibl, Apr 21, 2011
    Last edited: Apr 21, 2011
    Hi there, I'm reposting this as the above thread (or below) one doesn't work for some reason.

So teh question is could I delete the partitions and then put their memory onto my main drive?
    Or is this just a nooby question, because when I delete the partitions it says that It may be not restored so It got me thinking It might not restore the memory to the local drive .

Thank's, and sorry for the nooby questions;.

Edit: I want to put the partitions back into the C:\ drive if that is possible, I do not have any data on the drives and one of them is 40gb, I made for acronis recovery which I did not use so it goes to waste, the other is system and the other is windows I do not want to do anything with those 2 drives.

2. zahnoo

zahnoo MDL Senior Member

Feb 2, 2011
    Per your request:
    Yep, you surely can. Both from within Windows and via a bootable CD\DVD running a utility such as GPartEd or one of many others.

But your question is rather simplistic for a fairly serious operation. What partition, or partitions, are you specifically referring to? My main hard drive [Disk0] has four partitions one of which is c:. Windows [normally] won't allow you to remove the c: partition, but the other three are all fair game.

If you're talking about booting GPartEd, Partition Magic or some such utility you can wipe them all out quite easily.

Using either Windows or a bootable CD, or DVD, you can recreate partitions. But they'll be completely new partitions and contain non of the data that was there before you deleted the partition. I generally think of "restore" to mean a "put it back the way it was" sort of thing. A simple delete partition and create new one is not going to restore your data.

But Windows 7 Backup and Restore function and programs like Acronis True Image will preserve that data for later re-imaging of a partition that will put data back.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...