Can I Run Normal Windows Program On Server?

Discussion in 'Windows Server' started by hansg234, Mar 2, 2015.

1. hansg234

hansg234 MDL Novice

Mar 2, 2015
    Hello

Sorry for this newbie question. I have a normal Windows desktop program on my notebook (Windows 7) but my notebook and Internet connection is too slow to run it so I thought if I can rent a Windows server and let it run there. Is that possible?

Thanks

2. xscess

xscess MDL Senior Member

Jul 27, 2009
    Most likely, yes.

Most likely, yes. Though it would depend on the program.

On a related note there are many that uses Windows Server as their workstation/desktop OS.

Though as you have mentioned, you wanna "rent" it, so most likely in a cloud or something... here's an MDL thread i've found on how to convert Windows Server 2012 R2 as a workstation:

Microsoft Server Converter 2012 R2 - v.1: http://forums.mydigitallife.net/threads/48725-MICROSOFT-SERVER-CONVERTER-2012-R2-v-1

3. cocachris89

cocachris89 MDL Senior Member

Mar 1, 2013
    Short answer; yes.

Long answer; no. Mainly security reasons.

4. hansg234

hansg234 MDL Novice

Mar 2, 2015
    Thanks for the help

5. kubato

kubato MDL Member

Jul 29, 2009
    I have found that you can run any program provided it was never released in a server version.
    For example, Ccleaner will work because they never made a server based version. Whereas, Raxco Perfect disk will not work because they made a server based aka more expensive edition.
    All of the above answers by others are mostly correct but, I can easily use this method to find if a program will work on a server. If you are interested in a program that works fine on you PC/ non server, then check if they make the same software for servers.
    Basically, if you try to install and it says you must have a server version, then you will have to pay up.... for the more expensive version.