Can I sell or giveaway my Windows 7 key from HP machine?

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by FattysGoneWild, Oct 18, 2012.

1. FattysGoneWild

FattysGoneWild MDL Member

Mar 7, 2010
    #1 FattysGoneWild, Oct 18, 2012
    Last edited: Oct 18, 2012
    I never have used the key stuck on the side of the pc. Am I able to sell it or let someone have it? Or would it only activate on my particular machine? I would like to make a trade for Windows 8 upgrade if possible. But, I want to make sure an exchange would work or not key wise on my end? My other question. Rather I can keep it or sell it. I do plan on upgrading to Windows 8. I would be purchasing the $39.99 option upgrade wise. But, I am hearing you need the OEM sticker key for the upgrade? If so. Then obviously I cannot trade or sell it.

2. PhaseDoubt

PhaseDoubt MDL Expert

Dec 24, 2011
    #2 PhaseDoubt, Oct 18, 2012
    Last edited: Oct 18, 2012
    You're opening the Microsoft licensing can of worms, but MS has this to say:

Q. Can I sell secondhand computer systems with the original Microsoft software, or will a new license be required before selling?

A. Please look at the End User Software License Terms to find out which type of license has been issued for the Microsoft software on the computer system and check the provisions relating to transfer. To find and read the End User Software License Terms, click Start on the taskbar, click Help and Support, and do a search for eula.txt. Generally speaking, in the case of OEM or OEM System Builder software, the license may not be transferred to a new or different PC. However, the entire used PC, including the software media, manuals, and Certificate of Authenticity, may be transferred to another end user along with the software license rights. (Emphasis mine)

Since you make reference to the sticker on the computer and a known OEM system builder (HP), I'd say that means your system is an OEM installation.

3. anarchist9027

anarchist9027 MDL Expert

Oct 30, 2010
    I would only recommend giving or selling your Windows licence off your machine if your COA says for example "Windows 7 Home Premium OA" If you see "OA" after the edition type, that pretty much in simple terms is a key that can be activated on ANY machine because it is a single use Online Activation key. Just think of it is a single use retail key. I have activated OA keys on all sorts of machines with or without a SLIC table regardless of OEM Brand.

4. FattysGoneWild

FattysGoneWild MDL Member

Mar 7, 2010
    Thank you both for the replies. I did check the sticker and can verify. It does say Windows 7 Home Premium OA. Getting back to my Windows 8 question. I don't want to make the mistake of selling or trading for a Windows 8 key if that key is needed from the sticker for I can upgrade to Windows 8 upgrade version?

5. PhaseDoubt

PhaseDoubt MDL Expert

Dec 24, 2011
    Like I said, Microsoft Licensing ... can of worms ...

For a true Microsoft sanctioned upgrade, you'll need to have an allowed version of Windows running for the upgrade package to find that includes a Microsoft sanctioned key. If that Microsoft sanctioned version of Windows is your Windows 7 OA in question, and you do a true upgrade, Microsoft's licensing in the past has required you to no longer use the Windows 7 key. That may have changed for Windows 8 ... you might want to post that question in the Windows 8 section.

But the thing is, this forum is less about Microsoft's convoluted and confusing Licensing terms and more about simply using the OS in the easiest most efficient way. And that means sometimes possibly paying little attention to certain Microsoft Licensing terms.