Can I stop Windows 8 Metro Apps to connect to internet?

Discussion in 'Windows 8' started by yusufrahmani09, Sep 5, 2012.

1. yusufrahmani09

yusufrahmani09 MDL Novice

Sep 4, 2012
    I am using Windows 8 Pro (technet) version. Whenever I connect to internet, my data consumption increases rapidly. I want to stop Metro Apps to regularly (and automatically) connect to internet. Can any one help me?

2. roirraW "edor" ehT

roirraW "edor" ehT MDL Addicted

Sep 1, 2007
    Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. phailyoor

phailyoor MDL Junior Member

Aug 6, 2012
    Not sure why you would want to have those apps installed if you don't want them connecting to the internet. Why not just uninstall them? You can disable just the live tile updates by going into the settings for each app and disabling the updates. I don't believe there is a way to globally disable live tiles. Edit: actually, you select a tile in the start screen and choose the turn off option.

4. alien2xx

alien2xx MDL Senior Member

Aug 5, 2009
    Go to Windows Firewall / advanced settings and delete/stop whatever you want.

Delete those pestilent applications from its main location and delete the shortcuts to the Start Main Menu while at it:

Remove "Store" icon from: C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu\Programs
    Remove unwanted Shortcuts from: C:\Users\<your_user_name>\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Windows\Application Shortcuts

(You may need to Reboot after)

Info where packages are (Just dump them to the trash):
    C:\Users\<your_user_name>\AppData\Local\Packages\

5. jassi

jassi MDL Junior Member

Sep 10, 2011
    #5 jassi, Sep 5, 2012
    Last edited: Sep 5, 2012
    I did the same after installing windows 8 and thinking of uninstalling them.