Can I use a third-party application to replace Start screen?

Discussion in 'Windows 8' started by MercedesBMW, Aug 22, 2012.

1. MercedesBMW

MercedesBMW MDL Novice

Aug 20, 2012
    As said in the title. I am using Windows 8 but found Metro is not so convenient as I imagine, especially when I look for a specific application or plug-in in my laptop. A rumor said that we can not use third-party apps to replace Start screen, is it true? What can I do about it?

2. MercedesBMW

MercedesBMW MDL Novice

Aug 20, 2012
    ok, I have solved this problem with Wentutu Start Menu. Anyone who has the same trouble with me can follow my recommend.

3. Hackeur

Hackeur MDL Senior Member

Jun 14, 2009
    I am doing a project at the moment with AutoHotkey scripts to emulate a fully customizable start screen right on the desktop which can be launched by touching RHS or LHS or the top of the screen - also with a single mouse click anywhere on the desktop.
    Navigation with the mouse - no keyboard shortcut!
    The only thing is no live tiles which is not a big deal anyway.
    will post some screenies when I finish the project ;)

4. pisthai

pisthai Imperfect Human

Jul 29, 2009
    I use Classic Start Menu m3.6 which is fully customize to your special needs. From what Id tested by far the best.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  5. Boyfriend

Boyfriend MDL Senior Member

Feb 10, 2010
    The rumor is false and was based on self-assumed theory. Try these alternatives:

Classic Shell 3.6.1 (highly customizable with skins and settings)
    Stardock’s Start8
    ViStart
    Handy Start Menu 1.60

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  6. MercedesBMW

MercedesBMW MDL Novice

Aug 20, 2012
    Thanks, everyone here! I tried every app I mentioned and even more apps recommended by others. Last weekend (8/25-8/26, we may in different time zone), I installed all of them one by one. I'd like to share my personal feelings: 1. Classic Shell. It is really powerful and has many functions. What's more, it has many Start menu of different versions of Windows, thus users can choose whatever they like. 2. Wentutu Start Menu. It is a brand new app. It doesn't have the numerous functions but it is really simple to operate. The interface is brief either. 3. Start8. It is brief as Wentutu Start Menu as well. It enables quick access and searching of installed applications. 4. ViStart. Nothing different with Start8 (personal opinion). So, sum up, if you want try more and you are a very classic man even want back to Windows 98's Start menu, then you can use Classic Shell. If you are lazy (like me, the simpler, the better), then you may try the last three apps. By the way, what I am using now is Wentutu Start Menu, though it is a new app, it has Wentutu Speed RamDisk. This is what it attracts me. It's really fresh to me.

7. Zettadox

Zettadox MDL Novice

Aug 21, 2012
    Classic Shell is the best. I like it better than Windows 7's start menu even. Customization to the max and it's freeware. Wonderful. :plane:

8. acozart

acozart MDL Novice

Mar 14, 2010
    yes It is the best
    Here is the way I fixed my to look. startmenu.jpg

9. tonto11

tonto11 MDL Addicted

Jun 18, 2012
    #9 tonto11, Aug 30, 2012
    Last edited: Aug 30, 2012
    ClassicShell 3.6.1 works nice, better than ViStart, a real help to navigate Win8 when it's needed

10. Boyfriend

Boyfriend MDL Senior Member

Feb 10, 2010
    You can also try Stardock Start8. They are emulating Windows 7 start menu to realistic level and offer you many built-in start button themes :rolleyes:

11. MercedesBMW

MercedesBMW MDL Novice

Aug 20, 2012
    Hi, thanks, everyone! I'm learning the ropes around here as well... I will experience them with longer time.