Can i use a windows 7 retail key on a system with windows 7 oem installed on it?

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by diamondx12, Jan 19, 2010.

1. diamondx12

diamondx12 MDL Novice

Oct 23, 2009
    ok here is my situation. I have a pc with windows 7 Home premium 64-bit OEM installed on my system. I have custom built my system. My question is, oh by the way my windows 7 is still in 30 day trial mode still, so if i get a windows 7 retail key from microsoft, Can i use that retail key to activate my OEM 30day trial windows 7 to full activation mode. or I am stuck with getting a windows 7 oem key from like a place called newegg? Why i want a retail key is i can do lots of hardware changes like processor changes or motherboard changes as with oem it is restricted to the motherboard so when that goes there goes my windows 7 unless i get the same motherboard again. So when i use the retail key will i have to reinstall windows 7 to retail mode or will it take the current windows 7 oem installation already. And also if i can't use a retail key and i am forced to get a oem key. Will i have to reinstall windows 7 home premium oem in order to use the oem key that came with the software. the reason i ask is i heard each oem windows 7 disc has a serial number embedded into the program. i hope i am making a lot of since. please tell which direction i can go. thanks in advance.

sincerely,

diamond12

2. sam3971

sam3971 MDL Guru

Nov 14, 2008
    I believe that it will be fine. The only difference between a retail and OEM edition is that the OEM one has a specific activation technique that is bound only to your specific motherboard so I would not worry which one you use.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. Dolorous Edd

Dolorous Edd MDL Expert

Aug 31, 2009
    Yes, you can replace an OEM key with a retail key. Actually it sounds like you used no key since you are in the 30 day trial mode, you can use oem or retail key. You can even use retail upgrade key supposedly with a registry hack.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  4. Rosco

Rosco MDL Addicted

Oct 29, 2007
    I really think you can change a defective motherboard - the major problem is that you have to phone up and beg for an activation code - at least that was what happened to me the last time I had a mobo diw with a valid XP version - I don't think M$ would deny you in this scenario provided your key didn't show up on another machine later.

5. RASelkirk

RASelkirk MDL Senior Member

Feb 4, 2010
    Going the other way?

Hi All,

Along similar lines, I have a new Win7 HP desktop (SLIC 2.1 BIOS) that came with "recovery discs" that only restore the box to HP's standard, not mine. I have since DL'ed the Win7 x86 full edition ISO file and the hash checks out OK. What do I need to do to this "retail" version to make it preactivate as an OEM version would?

TIA!

Russ

6. Rosco

Rosco MDL Addicted

Oct 29, 2007
    Extract your current certificates - there is an excellent tutorial on these forums.

Activate using basic commands - there is an excellent tutorial on these forums; OR,

Create your own DVD - there is an excellent tutorial on these forums.

Say no more

7. urie

urie Moderator
    Staff Member

May 21, 2007
    No it won't work on another machine.

8. Dolorous Edd

Dolorous Edd MDL Expert

Aug 31, 2009
    Sounds like you are wanting to do a clean install and get rid of the pre loaded crap? Yes, back up current activation with paymyrents token restore program. Boot from dvd or oem dvd (they are the same, verify hash from the repository unless you have original media), install windows, do not install key, do not check activate automaticaly. Use paymyrents token restore program to restore activation information.

If for whatever reason you can't restore the activation then manually insert the key and appropriate cert from this site, if the site doesn't have the cert then extract it, check the stickies for information and tools to accomplish this.

9. RASelkirk

Feb 4, 2010
    Great! Exactly what I want to do, and so happy to hear it will work...

THANKS!

Russ

10. urie

urie Moderator
    Staff Member

May 21, 2007
    You say machine came with preinstalled OS then you say it is new self built box, if it is OEM SLP machine then yes grab certificate if not OEM but prebuilt and you want to use your retail key then use paymyrents tool as Dolorous Edd mentioned.

11. RASelkirk

Feb 4, 2010
    Urie,

I don't recall mentioning anything about it being a "self built box"? :confused:

It's a new "Compaq HP500-B" minitower straight from HP that's never been started. My plan is to start it normally, let it activate, and capture my activation data. Then shut it down, boot off my "copy" of Win7 Pro (HP ships only recovery discs, not the MS disc), repartition the drive, reformat, install the Win7 Pro, and restore my activation information.

Russ

12. urie

urie Moderator
    Staff Member

May 21, 2007
    OOOPS, sorry but i read first post
    thought you had started this thread.

13. Dolorous Edd

Dolorous Edd MDL Expert

Aug 31, 2009
    Ooooh, thread hijacker, it's the hot irons and pincers for him.

14. RASelkirk

Feb 4, 2010
    Yeah, I kinda jumped in (thought my situation was similar). It's freaky how some threads on this forum have 12,000 posts, very difficult to keep track of who's posting what. Also a reason I always quote someone's post, no confusion that way...

Guilty! :eek:

15. RASelkirk

Feb 4, 2010
    Bingo! :worthy: Worked like a charm, but I used "ABRbeta" instead of "Token Restore". I saved my info with both. It looks like they function pretty much the same, I chose one over the other for no particular reason... :cheers:

Russ