Can i use win core key to activate win core n?

Discussion in 'Windows 8' started by Jennings5670, Apr 11, 2019.

1. Jennings5670

Jennings5670 MDL Novice

Apr 11, 2019
    If not, how can I create the ei.cfg so I can bypass the key entry when installing? Also can Core N be converted to VL, also does KMS_VL_ALL work fine for retail and not VL?

2. mxman2k

mxman2k MDL Developer

Jun 20, 2007
    #2 mxman2k, Apr 11, 2019
    Last edited: Apr 11, 2019
    Core and CoreN keys are not interchangeable.

The N version is 'crippled' in that no codecs and other media related files are present, which can cause problems in games and some other programs that require media functions. Other differences may be present too.

You can use an ei.cfg to set as the edition you wish to install or have it show all editions to choose. This will bypass asking for a key during setup.

Show all Editions in the ISO/Image:
    Code:
    [Channel]
    _Default
    [VL]
    Set to normal Core only:
    Code:
    [EditionID]
    Core
    [Channel]
    Retail
    [VL]
    Set to Core N only:
    Code:
    [EditionID]
    CoreN
    [Channel]
    Retail
    [VL]
    If you wish to use any of the above as ei.cfg, just open Notepad, copy paste the contents within the CODE tags and save as ei.cfg (not ei.cfg.txt). Place this file within the Sources folder of the ISO/Image, save the iso/image and it is then ready for when you next install.

For less hassle why not just use normal Core edition, less problems later, you can simply un-tick the box for media player within Programs & Features to remove WMP and it not affect the media codecs etc which other programs/games may rely on.

KMS will only give 45 days for any supported Core edition. Pro and above are 180 days standard activation time. If you allow auto-renewal then this time limit is immaterial, (providing any Antivirus solution does not remove the KMS files!).

If your MSDM/or retail key is Core and you install Windows 8.x/10 Home (Core) then you would not require any KMS solution as the MSDM/retail key would be permanent for that computer.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. Jennings5670

Jennings5670 MDL Novice

Apr 11, 2019
    What is Core N is the only index in the WIM or ESD? Do I still use the Core N EI.CFG?

4. mxman2k

mxman2k MDL Developer

Jun 20, 2007
    if it is the only index/edition within the wim/esd then it not required for the ei.cfg , i would still have it in just to make sure the setup will only look for that edition.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  5. erpsterm35

erpsterm35 MDL Expert

May 27, 2013
    in addition to this, only Pro & Enterprise are 180 days KMS activation. ProWMC (Pro + Media Center), on the other hand, is 45 days for KMS activation as I have confirmed this myself (like with any Core edition)