Can mere copying of user folder will be enough to copy total contents to a new user

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by jraju, Oct 6, 2013.

1. jraju

jraju MDL Member

Apr 6, 2013
    hi I think that my user profile has been corrupted somehow. I created a new user account as per msoft and then tried to copy the contents by logging in to yet another user ac. But the problem is , when you create a user account, it creates specific folders and if i have to copy my old user account , then the same folder exist in the new ac also and i have to confirm each copying.
    But there is also creation for the user account in the registry for the old and new user account.
    Mere copying the outer known copying is enough without there being any change in the registry entries. For eg, my appdata may contain a software application for which there will be a folder in the user application data. and i also suppose, there are some registry entries to run the program for the selected software. What will happen to these registry entries. I do not think that any article i come across touch this point. So, if i delete after copying the software in the open window folders, the registry entries will not be there in the registry to run the program resulting in not running that application. Is my presumption is correct, sir,. Is there a way of copying user accounts contents to a new user accounts without loss of contents and also the working of software programs.Please also let me know that this is not just copying and pasting like any other files.Thank you in advance for the replies

2. 6202

6202 MDL Novice

May 13, 2015
    You already figured it out probably but lol

2 year old post i know lol but anyway, NO. Don't copy the entire user folder. Instead, only copy the Music, Videos, Documents and Downloads folders. You can also copy the Desktop folder if you wish.

Also, no you cannot just copy the programs. You have to reinstall them.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...