Can Microsoft do anything to permanently prevent piracy of Windows OS?

Discussion in 'Windows 8' started by Ming_the_Merciless, Mar 29, 2014.

1. Ming_the_Merciless

Ming_the_Merciless MDL Member

Feb 7, 2014
    Can Microsoft do anything to permanently prevent piracy (illegal activation) of Windows OS? Would it be feasible for them to release a new version which utilized nothing but retail keys? Every key unique, to be blacklisted at the first sign of duplication. Anything else they could do? (Don't post details!) Or is it more likely they can never protect themselves, all it takes is enough time and tools for any method to be decoded.

2. Mr.X

Mr.X MDL Guru

Jul 14, 2013
    If such a thing happens then most likely I would go to Frankenbuilds, :D

3. urie

urie Moderator
    Staff Member

May 21, 2007
    Don't think it would ever happen would require millions of companies that use KMS method to have to buy new computers.

4. pisthai

pisthai Imperfect Human

Jul 29, 2009
    That would never be happen! Not only as urie explained about the need of change to new computers for the corporate sector which mainly use KMS Activation, also on the private sector, the way would be to implement new Data/Activation Centers for to continue activation check of the connected computers not once a day, no, multiple time a day and those Center's need to cross check betwen all others as well! Possible but not efficient! The fail rate would be very high!

Maybe one way would be the use of the new activation process with the P-Key in BIOS! But: how long that protection would be last? There for sure a lot working on it for the hacking of that BIOS's and it's just a matter of time "we" could burn our own new BIOS.

Nothing is perfect! And how it could? The makers (of everything) are Humans and NONE of the humans are perfect!

I really doubt that there will be ever an unbreakable OS/Apps/System! And I believe that is good!

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  5. BAV0

BAV0 MDL Expert

Aug 25, 2011
    The only way would be to only use 100% unique keys, make an internet connection mandatory and check the keys online. (offline activation code generation can always be cracked) And even then you could somehow emulate the activation server and generate a fake but valid response.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  6. Mr.X

Mr.X MDL Guru

Jul 14, 2013
    In other words, M$ you'll always be f****ed :D

7. CODYQX4

CODYQX4 MDL Developer

Sep 4, 2009
    If they remove al the nice and clean exploits we use, somebody will patch the hell out of system files to disable the licensing mechanisms.

8. bchat

bchat MDL Smart Azz

Nov 7, 2008
    MS builds a better mouse, somebody will build a better mouse trap. It is the way of the world.

9. Rock Hunter

Rock Hunter MDL Senior Member

Dec 6, 2011
    Every time MS comes up with a new system designed to protect their software from unlicensed use, somebody finds a way to get around it. Microsoft thinks they are so smart but there are others who are just as smart if not smarter.

10. Mr.X

Mr.X MDL Guru

Jul 14, 2013
    Frankenbuilds I said before? :D

11. lievre

lievre MDL Senior Member

Sep 18, 2012
    My two cents on that. There will always be some smarter people on two side. Meaning If somebody is bright enough to make a code or a program, there will be somebody as bright or brighter to crack it.

Lievre

12. murphy78

murphy78 MDL DISM Enthusiast

Nov 18, 2012
    It would be very hard to do correctly, and you'd have to incorporate some sort of uninstall method, but I'm sure it could be done if they ended up whitelisting the kms activation by making the KMS Servers download temporary certs every so often like Daz was theorizing.

I'm not really sure it will be as much of an issue as we suspect though... I think MS will need to keep lowering buyin price and trying to make up the money in the store and other online features to stay competitive.
    Their current plan of charging $200 for a semi-decent OS cannot continue.

13. LiteOS

LiteOS MDL Expert

Mar 7, 2014
    #13 LiteOS, Mar 29, 2014
    Last edited: Mar 29, 2014
    i dont think they want to do this
    they want us to use windows :)

mb they gonna relase free windows

14. Mr.X

Mr.X MDL Guru

Jul 14, 2013
    I already know it would be very hard to accomplish such a task. Hopefully they do the white-listing stuff not in the next future.

15. Zeblade

Zeblade MDL Junior Member

Jun 21, 2007
    Granted the price is sky high but lol they never try to make it uncrackable. Things always come back around, like it or not believe it or not just the way it is.

Myself I have always been good at when someone says you cant, no way.. haha I find a way. I have never paid full or even half price for MS stuff. You just cant search google..you have to dig. Lol no I am not a student.

16. wzrdrcr

wzrdrcr MDL Novice

Jun 23, 2011
    Yes there is

They could get smart and make the os freeware and make money back on support and the apps.

17. PaulDesmond

PaulDesmond MDL Magnet

Aug 6, 2009
    boring without any skill to crack a system one day or have it simply free > what the hell is then going on with MDL :cool:

18. bchat

bchat MDL Smart Azz

Nov 7, 2008
    We could bake cookies.

19. PaulDesmond

PaulDesmond MDL Magnet

Aug 6, 2009
    oh, then we have Donut scripts and cinnamon bakery recipes here?

20. MrChris

MrChris MDL Senior Member

Jun 23, 2007
    The Windows OS as we know it will eventually go into the clouds using the hardware and a fast internet connection to simply power on a host. Just my .02 cents.

~MC