can not install windows 7 anymore

Discussion in 'BIOS Mods' started by heian, Oct 26, 2011.

1. heian

heian MDL Novice

Mar 5, 2010
    Hi,

My laptop was installed with windows7 ultimate, with Daz loader v2.0.8.
    The Bios is Phoenix SecureCore and i found out that the bios had Slic2.1.
    After using the loader Windows, was seen as genuine and works like a charm.

Then i installed ubuntu 11.1 on another partition and something went really wrong.
    Finally i decided to do a clean install from Windows7.

I formatted the harddrive completely by removing all partitions and try to re-install windows7.
    But after re-booting it always hangs.
    I changed AHCI to IDE in the Bios, even set bios to Default setup, tried several dvd's that sure worked
    and also tried XP, from a cd-rom.

But all i get is a starting windows 7 that hangs, and or XP loaded some stuff and then dont do anything anymore.
    Again, the cd-roms/dvd's are good. Ubuntu will install without problems!

Could it be because there is something with the laptop because of the previous windows loader and/or changed slic?
    Is it possible that i need to reinstall a new Bios software, or are the default settings not changed with the loader?
    Laptop is a Lenovo Y450.

Many thanks in advance for any advice, looks like my laptop died.

heian

2. IronMaiden

IronMaiden MDL Member

Oct 27, 2009
    From what I've seen in other threads (actually other forums), the GRUB bootloader installed with Ubuntu can stuff up your disk to the point of confusing the Windows setup DVD.

It's not enough to simply delete/format the partitions...you need to wipe the HD clean, best way to do this is to boot from the DVD and go to the command prompt. Then start diskpart and use the clean command on your HD (it's not necessary to use clean all).

Reboot again from the DVD and the install should work fine now.

3. Thomas

Thomas MDL Spam Reporter

Nov 10, 2009
    In Windows Loader make sure the Preserve current boot code option is selected.
    Next time, read the readme.txt file included with the .zip

4. heian

heian MDL Novice

Mar 5, 2010
    Thanks to everone who tried to help me.

The bios was not modded.
    Tested with six different cd/dvd's to install xp or win7, but all failed and the pc hangs after first reboot. Tried to flash the bios with Crisis Recover Disk, but that didn't work. (unknown reason)

Finally i took the battery and harddisk out, wanted to get a new harddisk the next day.
    Battery was out for the whole night, and next morning after reinstalled the same harddrive and battery...... guess what...... it booted up and went further with installing windows7.
    Immediately flashed the original bios from manufactor. Since then Windows works as it should be :)

Thanks for the Preserve current boot code stuff. Very usefull!