Can NOT install windows 8

Discussion in 'Windows 8' started by david toska, Dec 1, 2012.

1. david toska

david toska MDL Member

Nov 30, 2009
    I have serious troubble and need som expert help... I am going to install W8 enterprice 64 bit on my dell Latitude E6220 laptop and my HP Pavilion.

First: the iso I have downloaded and burned to dvd is the iso from The Official Windows 8 Repository. And I have a legitime key to use.

But, when i boot up my new w8 enterprice 64 bit dvd i come to the install screen. When i put the marker over my partision 1 (whitch is my windows partition) At this time im ready to format the partition. I get the following message:

Windows cannot be installed to this disk. The selected disk has an MBR partision table. On EFI system windows can only be installed to GPT disks.

This happens both on my dell laptop and also on my hp desktop. Same issu.

I cant understand.. I have done this MANY times before on window 7. Whats happening on W8??

2. Tito

Tito Super Mod / Adviser
    Staff Member

Nov 30, 2009
    Either boot as normal style, not EFI boot. Or wipe the hdd completely.

3. pisthai

pisthai Imperfect Human

Jul 29, 2009
    While in Custom installation, go to Drive Options and delete that existing Partitions completely, after that chose New and define the size you like to have for the system or just click OK to use the full HDD.

You will get min. 2 new Partitions, 1 with 350MB (for System Reserved) and the C (system) Partition. Now the installation should just go ahead.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  4. acyuta

acyuta MDL Expert

Mar 8, 2010
    Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  5. david toska

david toska MDL Member

Nov 30, 2009
    SOLVED:)

"While in Custom installation, go to Drive Options and delete that existing Partitions completely, after that chose New and define the size you like to have for the system or just click OK to use the full HDD."

This diddnt fix the problem.

I went into bios and removed the option for UEFI DVD boot. After this I was able to install as normal.

thanks for good help:hug2: