Can OEM certificates be replaced with another oem brand?

Discussion in 'Windows Vista' started by wagoff, Oct 17, 2007.

1. wagoff

wagoff MDL Novice

Sep 20, 2007
    I wont bore you with the details and just get right to the question: if i have an oem install disk of vista ultimate 32bit with the asus cert already applied to it, can i install that on a dell laptop (it has slic table) and then just overwrite the asus cert with the dell cert after install?

Or do i actually need to download a retail version of vista, use a dell oem cdkey, then apply the dell cert after install? I am basically just trying to avoid having to spend a couple days downloading another version of vista.

2. shawnmos

shawnmos MDL Member

Oct 27, 2007
    Can't you just change the product key to a dell key after you install?

3. Yen

Yen Admin
    Staff Member

May 6, 2007
    Are you able to install the Asus OEM DVD on the Dell machine? IMO it asks for the right OEM during setup, but I'm not sure.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  4. urie

urie Moderator
    Staff Member

May 21, 2007
    Yes probably when you install it wont activate what you could do is just add the DELL.XRM-MS file to \sources\$OEM$\$$\SYSTEM32\OEM on the dvd with ultraiso you can have more than 1 .XRM-MS file in OEM folder but i did read on forum better not having more than 5 .XRM-MS files :D as for the serial number it should work.

5. 911medic

911medic MDL Guru

Aug 13, 2008
    I have had 39 at one time..It doesnt really matter, it seems to just activate off of the first one. The XML file is a mess too..:D

I would keep it to a minimum also..K.I.S.S. is the rule..:rolleyes:

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  6. FuzzyMaster

FuzzyMaster MDL Member

Jun 21, 2007
    LMFAO big time.....nothing wrong with the info provided......

I just can't believe nobody noticed that raja was replying to an almost 2 year old post!!!!

7. Wonder.Wonder.Wonder

Jun 2, 2010
    #8 Wonder.Wonder.Wonder, Jun 6, 2010
    Last edited: Jun 15, 2010
    Yes, you need to change the key and Certiicate stimutaniously