Can One Of You Amazing People Recommend A Safe, Ultra-slim Version Of Win10 Home?

Discussion in 'Windows 10' started by lori87, Sep 21, 2018.

1. lori87

lori87 MDL Novice

Sep 21, 2018
    I'll make this short as to not waste your time.

I have been using Linux for a while but unfortunately it's been causing issues on my laptop with compatibility. I tried using Windows LTSB edition, although it was perfect in terms of apps it caused problems for my drivers, etc.

I'm looking for a Windows 10 Home edition ISO that is ultra slim, meaning only the bare basics installed like .Net, Calculate, etc. The emptier it is, the better. I would also prefer that the ISO have all the privacy/telemetry nonsense removed as well.

Do you guys have any recommendations? Also, are the ISO's always safe no matter what or should I look for any red flags?

Thanks!!!

2. endbase

endbase MDL Guru

Aug 12, 2012
    Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. lori87

lori87 MDL Novice

Sep 21, 2018
    I actually did see that but was wondering if someone has gone through it and made one, because honestly I wasn't necessarily looking to create a super custom one, just one that was ultra slim

4. endbase

endbase MDL Guru

Aug 12, 2012
    Ultra slim in as 3.9 GB or lower ?

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  5. lori87

lori87 MDL Novice

Sep 21, 2018
    Ultra slim as in almost everything removed, all bloatware removed, all telemetry disabled, that sort of thing.

6. endbase

endbase MDL Guru

Aug 12, 2012
    Yeah you can do that with MSMG toolkit from the link I sent but I get a feeling that you want somoby else do the work and you just want a iso link except those are not allowed as it would be homebrew

7. You can easily achieve such an os.
    I suggest to do the following.
    Dont look for or create a ultra slim iso, you can easily make the os as you want after os install.
    Download a w10 1803 consumer iso and install 'Education' Edition. (this is the best edition, all features of enterprise + subscribed content turn off by default and gpo regarding update and telemetry will work)
    use dism++ tool to remove all user apps + provisioned apps (no apps in new created account)
    use group policy to manage windows update settings and telemetry (yes this edition can block all the telemetries)
    turn off cortana and turn it into simple search menu by registry or dism ++ or gpo
    you can completely turn off defender with gpo.

there, you just made your windows 10 as you want with standard official methods in ~5 minutes.

8. TairikuOkami

TairikuOkami MDL Expert

Mar 15, 2014
  9. Kim100

Kim100 MDL Addicted

Jun 17, 2009
    Turn off the stuff you dont want with WPD.

10. jsalpha2

jsalpha2 MDL Novice

May 16, 2015
    This one? At Majorgeeks Windows 10 Bloatware free edition?
    I have not tried it yet. It has been around for awhile, pretty good reviews.

11. °ツ

°ツ MDL Addicted

Jun 8, 2014
    That one is made by @Ultra Male (Phoenix) on MDL.
    He used MSMG toolkit to create it and I don't understand how homebrew ISOs are allowed on Softpedia and Majorgeeks, would expect it to be taken down on Microsoft's request.

12. Super Spartan

Super Spartan MDL Expert

May 30, 2014
    Wrong, I stopped doing this long back, that one on Major Geeks is done by some other dude from NBR forums which I want no association with. He doesn't test the ISOs he creates and just blindly submits them to MajorGeeks.

13. RideTheLightning

RideTheLightning MDL Member

Sep 20, 2018
    Stating the obvious here, unless it's not home brew there isn't an official ISO of an official ULTRA-SLIM Windows 10 version out there and there never will be.

I'm curious to what problems you have had with LTSB regarding drivers, I never had problems with drivers on LTSB back when I used it.
    Have you tried different drivers? Frankly LTSB is the lightest version of Windows 10 you can get.

Chances are you are going to have problems with drivers despite which edition of Windows 10 you are going to run.

Come to think of it you haven't even told us what laptop you are trying to run Windows 10 on.

14. moistbuns

moistbuns MDL Novice

Jan 30, 2015
    There's also NTLite. Untick the apps and language packs you don't want. It shaves off a little (usually 1.5GB) without causing any problems. You can't do much else with the free version, the paid version supposedly goes cheap around Christmas and LTSC will long be out by then, so it'll give you a good base to start on.