can some explain how virtual windows has same key as genuine windows when activated?

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by windowwiper, Feb 9, 2017.

1. windowwiper

windowwiper MDL Junior Member

Feb 7, 2017
    I have win 7 64 bit disk that came with my pc. I made an iso of it and then installed it as a virtual machine in vmware and activated it. Not sure what inused to activate. But it had the same key as my real 64 bit. How is this? I do not know much about how these things work and am curious. I only did it as a practice so deleted it in case my real system would be detected as not genuine. My real system is genuine

2. Tito

Tito Super Mod / Adviser
    Staff Member

Nov 30, 2009
  3. Myrrh

Myrrh MDL Expert

Nov 26, 2008
    VMware is passing thru the SLIC data from BIOS. When you install the disc that came with your computer it activates automatically whether on the real machine or a virtual one.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  4. windowwiper

Feb 7, 2017
    Thanks that was puzzling me. i suspected it was picking it up from thereal system but did not know how. Is it possible to get around that so the virtual will have different key?

5. Enthousiast

Enthousiast MDL Tester

Oct 30, 2009
    #6 Enthousiast, Feb 9, 2017
    Last edited: Feb 9, 2017
    Does it really (i would really love to know if it can)?

I never had a win 7 system with slic where i used vmware on (so i never tested it), but i can't really believe that the VM uses the slic from the bios?

And surely if you've used a downloaded iso which wasn't the oem disk of the host system.

You say you've downloaded the second last iso on that forum, it was an Ultimate iso, but how did you get HomeBasic installed if you didn't know how to do that with an Ultimate ISO at that time?

And you most likely have activated the VM with DAZ Loader (though i never saw an answer to the test you were advised to see if the loader was used).

6. windowwiper

Feb 7, 2017
    I am just going by what Myrrh said. Something caused it to any way. I did not use the downloaded iso for that one. I made an iso of my windows recovery disk.

7. Enthousiast

Enthousiast MDL Tester

Oct 30, 2009
    I am just trying to keep track of all the different threads you've started ;)

8. windowwiper

Feb 7, 2017
    ;)sorry trying to catch up. have created loads of EVAL vms for a course in ethical hacking as well as ownloaded ones and my own disk