Can somebody PLEASE figure out how to disable charms bar...

Discussion in 'Windows 8' started by Rickkins, Jun 8, 2012.

1. Rickkins

Rickkins MDL Senior Member

Jul 29, 2009
    Freakin' childish nonsense that damn near drives me up a wall. Surely one of the smart people here can figure out a fix...

2. Cleric

Cleric MDL Member

Aug 14, 2009
    you can't, but why u wanna do that?

3. Windows Fan

Windows Fan MDL Senior Member

Mar 6, 2012
    i would also like to know how to disable it. many times it shows automatically when i move mouse cursor to top-right corner to close a program window. its very annoying because we dont want to access it but it appears automatically. microsoft should provide an option to turn it on/off.

4. venu

venu MDL Addicted

Oct 16, 2009
    Bloody charms is worse than the lego tiles. I would consider win8 provided somebody destroys this uncharming bar.

5. SOCRATE_MMXII

SOCRATE_MMXII MDL Expert

Jan 25, 2012
    The charms bar cannot be disabled. It's supposed to take the functions of start menu..sort of. Very childish,IMHO.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  6. NCS

NCS MDL Member

Jun 24, 2010
    install win 7

7. Jessica Alba

Jessica Alba MDL Expert

Jul 26, 2009
    i have to admit charm bar really sucks and super annoying :(

8. Nawzil

Nawzil MDL Guru

Jun 18, 2011
    I wonder why these people use Windows 8 when they hate every good thing in it.

9. Jessica Alba

Jessica Alba MDL Expert

Jul 26, 2009
    this is an forum people are just giving feed back about windows 8, if people don't test it what is beta and rc are for???????:confused:
    plus this is not rtm yet!

10. Shenj

Shenj MDL Expert

Aug 12, 2010
    I really don't understand how you close a Window on your machine or how this charms bar can even be annoying.
    So what happens on your side? You move your mouse really lazy to close by putting it into the corner on top right... ok? So what?
    Charm Bars shows.. So? You can still close your window just fine... do what you normally do after closing and the Hint Charms bar is gone again.

The "Hint" Bar can not be clicked, it only Hints you the Charms Bar.. so you actually have to move further down or up closer to a Icon to show a functional Charms Bar.

Eitherway, hook the Charms Bar function and voila you can make it never show, but this will just cripple it.. so not sure why somebody would Install Windows 8 just to cripple its functionallity, when you can just Install Windows 7 and you get what you wanted, no metro.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  11. _spinner_

_spinner_ MDL Addicted

Apr 3, 2011

Charm bar is very annoing and unuseful(designed just in Metro ambient, to be the bad replacement of Windows taskbar)
    It comes out everytime i close i window(the position of where you close a window and where comes out is very very small, impossible to control, move slow and stop before charm bar pops out)
    This is the biggest mistake as ever done by Microsoft, who is that idiot that writes that stupid function???
    Done or not for touch gestures, IT HAVE TO BE CHOOSEABLE to skip in desktop and notebook......

The others crappy Metro thingy and...(removing start orb, Media center, start menu and Aero) is just point of view, but really brings to non productive OS,
    just for chitchatting on tablets....

We will install Win 8 because there are a lot of beautiful and useful new features that win 7 do not have...
    So classic shall it will be the first, we have to wait that someone figures out how to disable Metro and charm bar...Done!!!

You are going to have a perfect OS as Ever!!!!

12. Jessica Alba

Jessica Alba MDL Expert

Jul 26, 2009
    very well said, you took the words right out of my mouth:worthy::D

13. Trinket

Trinket MDL Senior Member

Feb 20, 2010
    The 'beauty' of Win8 is certainly nowhere to be found in the graphical user interface, so I gather you are talking about functionality as being beautiful. What the Win8 GUI team has decided upon is downright awful. They are only offering an ugly Basic visual style in Win8 now, no more Aero or transparency to soften or focus attention. In my opinion, the only reason they switched to Basic -- and on top of this, to REMOVE aero support itself! -- is because they aim to run Win8 on touch screen devices, which are LESS POWERFUL than desktop devices. So this was done so that they don't run into Aero incompatibility problems on lower-powered devices. So basically, they downgraded the entire GUI of Windows to service lower powered devices. This is yet another thing pointing to the same motivation behind Win8, and that is that MS is seeking to play a major role in the mobile device market. It is not in favor of desktops, nor will it be. This is why it is said that Win 8 is the Win ME for desktop users; many of them will skip Win8 entirely, just as many skipped Vista until Win7 became available.

The whole 'tile' interface came into existence as simplification needed for mobile devices, as you can see on the Window phone for example. Large, plain surfaces that are clear to the eye on smaller screens. On top of this, smaller (and thus less powerful) devices are slower/have less computing and chip power, so running plain graphics as your main GUI will speed things up as less is required from the hardware. Then Explorer itself flattens and reverts to a Basic visual style without gradients and without transparency. If you really believe that is a decision based on pure esthetics and artistic concept, then you are buying into the crap MS is trying to spin on you. Win8 GUI was simplified because of them trying to gain share in the mobile and touch device markets. So, for power and desktop users, this change is a downgrade. Who wants to look at a 27 inch screen and see flat tiles and bars? No one. Now if you were on a tablet device, with a smaller screen, plain and clearly marked tiles are easier to navigate. Etc... if you can't see it now, then who can explain it to you?

14. SOCRATE_MMXII

SOCRATE_MMXII MDL Expert

Jan 25, 2012
    I wonder why Windows 8 supports graphic acceleration? It shouldn't... The graphics on Win8 can be run easily by 4x86 dx2 @ 66 MHz. So what's the point?

Functionality? WHAT functionality?
    To change a setting you have to do a lot of useless movements.

15. Rickkins

Jul 29, 2009
    Wait, what..?? Can you explain that a little better...?? All I really need is ti make it never show....

Thanks.

16. SuperBubble

SuperBubble MDL Member

Nov 18, 2011
    I'm pretty sure he's talking about trapping window creation/showing messages so the Charms bar never appears.

I saw something similar done way back in the mists of time to the taskbar by Mac users.

The problem is that window hooks slows the system down, and are never completely perfect - they sometimes fiddle with windows they're not supposed to.

17. Nawzil

Nawzil MDL Guru

Jun 18, 2011
    I agree with you. So people must test what is offered by Microsoft instead disabling them.

18. SuperBubble

SuperBubble MDL Member

Nov 18, 2011
    #19 SuperBubble, Jun 11, 2012
    Last edited: Jun 11, 2012
    If I may play devil's advocate, randomly disabling things is actually a legitimate test of the system.

There may well be some unintended dependency on an (apparently) unrelated components.

"Disabling" something may result in a different code path through the executable, rather than no code running at all, and expose some obscure bug that otherwise wouldn't be nailed down.

Knowing what lots of people crawl through the registry to disable can suggest to Microsoft that, because it's disabled so regularly, they should make it a Group Policy option, or even a check box somewhere in Control Panel.

But, having said all that, I think people are just venting that they hate Metro. :rolleyes:

19. Rickkins

Jul 29, 2009
    Tested and rejected. End of story.