Can someone explain how this is supposed to be a "Start Menu"?

Discussion in 'Windows 10' started by thorbsd, Apr 29, 2015.

1. thorbsd

thorbsd MDL Junior Member

Jun 9, 2013
    I don't like the big tiles, so I just unpin them and resize the Start Menu so it looks like a normal menu. What's left is what I've shown in the image below...

New Start Menu.png

Can someone explain how this is supposed to be a "Start Menu"? Whatever it is, it's a completely useless waste of space and trying to navigate "All apps" to search for your program is a pain in the ass.

How do I make it like this (minus the pinned tiles):
    Tech-Preview_Start-menu.jpg

2. yann2

yann2 MDL Novice

Mar 9, 2015
  3. thorbsd

Jun 9, 2013
    I use Classic Shell on my Windows 8.1 system, and I know it works in Windows 10 as well. I assume I'll still be using Classic Shell once RTM hits because I can't seem to make a "normal" Start Menu with what Microsoft is providing (as of build 10074).

I'm just messing around at the moment and seeing if I can make Windows 10 work the way I want it to.

4. maya77

maya77 MDL Member

Aug 30, 2009
    It's not empty space, it's used for recent apps. But you can resize it to eliminate blank space.

Also, there is no need to navigate through menus... just start typing the name of the app you want to open and it will appear on the menu. For example type SNI... to get Snipping Tool.

Third party apps are completely unneeded as Windows 10 Start is perfectly easy to use.

5. orlaf

orlaf MDL Addicted

Jan 22, 2015
    #5 orlaf, Apr 29, 2015
    Last edited: Apr 29, 2015
    Send feedback

6. thorbsd

Jun 9, 2013
    It may be "perfectly easy to use", but it forces me to alter the way I interact with my system, and this is a change I don't like. I find it far easier to simply point and click on a program I have pinned to the start menu (Windows 7 or any of the menu replacement programs), than it is to take my hands off the mouse and start typing. It takes me more time and energy with the new system as it is currently implemented (as of 10074), and on top of that, I find it very visually unappealing. For me, in all situations, what Microsoft is providing is a poorly implemented and non-functional "Start Menu".

7. thorbsd

Jun 9, 2013
    I will (though at this point of the build process I think it's unlikely to change anything).

I was more hoping that someone knew of a setting that I was unaware of, that could make it do what I wanted.

8. maya77

maya77 MDL Member

Aug 30, 2009
    Then just pin programs you are using often to the Start menu. Set the tile size as you wish for each of them and put it where you want. I see no problem here. That's what we all do. Favorite programs pinned, other programs easily found by typing part of it's name.

9. orlaf

orlaf MDL Addicted

Jan 22, 2015
    I not think, the development of this windows it's different respect previous others, my guess it's that the works on changes will proceed up to the rtm

10. T-S

T-S MDL Guru

Dec 14, 2012
    The stock start menu is a lost battle. Just use Classic Shell

11. orlaf

orlaf MDL Addicted

Jan 22, 2015
    Catastrophism

12. Atari800XL

Atari800XL MDL Addicted

Apr 3, 2011
    Heheh, good question ;)
    I sometimes ask myself: "Can someone explain how this is supposed to be Windows 10"?
    It still looks like 8.1upd2 to me, maybe even 8.05.
    But not even "9", let alone "10"...

13. thorbsd

Jun 9, 2013
    The problem is that things get pinned as big, ugly, space wasting tiles (which I mentioned I find visually unappealing). I also find it slightly more difficult to use because I spend more time having to scan a larger visual area to find what I'm looking for.

This is how I have Classic Shell set up:
    StartMenu.jpg

I will likely use Classic Shell regardless, because I can't think of a better or more efficient way to present the information I want, and hide the things I don't want.

Based on the second screenshot I posted in my first message, I thought Microsoft had returned to having a somewhat normal start menu, but it seems as though they haven't. For me, the "New Start Menu" or "Non-Fullscreen Start Screen" is a major step backwards in function, even compared to Windows 8.1.

14. orlaf

orlaf MDL Addicted

Jan 22, 2015
    #14 orlaf, Apr 29, 2015
    Last edited: Apr 29, 2015
    However it's strange, remember that in the previous builds (like 10036), start menu has had an option for pin and unpin favourites apps (include documents and other things correlated), so maybe this will return in pre-rtm builds

15. thorbsd

Jun 9, 2013
    What you say is interesting. I didn't actually try 10036, so perhaps it will come back. It would be a welcome addition to me. I'm also mostly just sitting on the side and waiting until RTM, because I know that the "under the hood" work comes first and that most of the final UI polish won't come until the very end.

16. dummekuehe

dummekuehe MDL Senior Member

Jan 11, 2009
    as i've said so many times
    the start menu in the first windows 10 build was still a proper start menu
    but then they replaced it with this XAML start menu which is just the scaled down start screen from 8.1

give them feedback and tell them to bring back the NON XAML start menu at least as an alternative for those that hated the start screen and hate this mini start screen that pretends to be a start menu

17. sXpTv

sXpTv MDL Member

Jul 14, 2014
    It's one of the highest rated feedback on Windows 10 and Microsoft is still using this crap..

Unbenannt.jpg

18. maya77

maya77 MDL Member

Aug 30, 2009
    #19 maya77, Apr 30, 2015
    Last edited: Apr 30, 2015
    Some of things you'll not find in Windows 8:

-Universal Apps
    -Xbox integration
    -Devices sync
    -Cortana
    -Edge
    -Continuum
    -HoloLens
    -Task View
    -Improved Start and Settings
    -Native MKV, HEVC and FLAC support
    -Notifications
    -DirectX 12

Plus, it uses less space, it's faster, and it's more stable.

There is even more if we talk about Windows 10 for phones.

19. sXpTv

sXpTv MDL Member

Jul 14, 2014
    DirectX 10? Welcome to Windows Vista!