Can System File Check errors occur because of defragmentation?

Discussion in 'Windows 8' started by MonarchX, May 20, 2015.

1. MonarchX

MonarchX MDL Expert

May 5, 2007
    Can they? I continue receiving these corrupted filea errors when running SFC scan even without applying any updates. I fix them with DISM Health Recovery but then a few days later I run SFC scan again and once again some files are corrupted and need DISM Health Restore to fix...

I have Win 8.1 on SSD and I know defragmentation on SSDs does very little, but it does help somewhat. I do it once a week on my small Windows-only partition, so drive health is not a big concern for me. Please no comments regarding defragging SSDs is stupid. Could SSD defrag mess with and create these SFC errors???

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  2. pisthai

pisthai Imperfect Human

Jul 29, 2009
    Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. MonarchX

MonarchX MDL Expert

May 5, 2007
    I run Windows 8.1 on SSD, not HDD! I think that some files must be placed in specific locations and defragmention messes that up. At least that is my hypothesis.

4. Aemsa

Aemsa MDL Member

Feb 17, 2014
    MonarchX, run your system at stock speeds and see if you still have data corruption.

5. John Sutherland

John Sutherland MDL Addicted

Oct 15, 2014
  6. MonarchX

MonarchX MDL Expert

May 5, 2007
    I did run Chkdsk /F and scanned for bad sectors - no issues, ever. My Samsung 830 SSD has the latest firmware. I have the cleanest PC on Earth, no spyware software, from ADWCleaner to Malware Bytes to Hitman Pro to Rogue Killer ever detects spyware in regular desktop mode and in Safe Mode. My data speed transfer is excellent, from SSD to SSD, from SSD to HDD, from HDD to SSD, and from SSD/HDD to my Samsung Galaxy S5 over USB 3.0. Motherboard has the latest BIOS. My overclock is ROCK-stable, can handle Prime95 torture test + a ton of other activities for indefinite amount of time, MemTest, 3D torture tests, etc. I don't get crashes in games or anywhere else. It really is - rock-stable in all situations.

I am not sure about the alignments of the first partition. I do not recall seeing it anywhere. I use full UEFI mode BTW. I use Defraggler and I've ran yet another check. I made sure there was no corruption through DISM RestoreHealth and SFC Scannow. For 3 days - no corruption. Then I defratment my SSD, run SFC Scannow and VUALA - corruption detected, unable to be fixed with SFC, but RestoreHealth + SFC Scannow do fix it. I mean the solution is easy - don't defragment! It wears out SSD's, so I should do it very rarely, like once every 3-4 months maybe.

7. abbodi1406

abbodi1406 MDL KB0000001

Feb 19, 2011
    Compressing winsxs components (Dism /StartComponentCleanup or cleanmgr) and defragmentation might get some files corrupted
    i experienced that several times

8. MonarchX

MonarchX MDL Expert

May 5, 2007
    Ah! Chichquah, Abbodi, chichquah!