can t boot from cdrom to install windows 8 for a dual boot with w 7.

Discussion in 'Windows 8' started by mamed, Nov 1, 2012.

1. mamed

mamed MDL Novice

Apr 4, 2010
    It ´s really helpless but I did almost anything I know to install windows 8 on a partition for a dual boot with w 7,but there is no way to boot from cd although being asked to type any key to continue.
    Windows 8 Professional is an upgrade and I have the iso.file with a legit key.
    Please,please ,need help.

2. PaulDesmond

PaulDesmond MDL Magnet

Aug 6, 2009
    what is your cpu?

3. zzdiesel

zzdiesel MDL Member

May 20, 2007
    Did you install 7 first?

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  4. mamed

mamed MDL Novice

Apr 4, 2010
    Hi thanks for the quick reply,yes windows 7 was already installed.

5. mamed

mamed MDL Novice

Apr 4, 2010
    intel dual Core, on a gigabyte EP41-UDL 3 .

Thank you.

6. PaulDesmond

PaulDesmond MDL Magnet

Aug 6, 2009
    Just wanted to make sure that cpu is not the problem

7. zzdiesel

zzdiesel MDL Member

May 20, 2007
    Ouch. I was hoping that might be it. I'm considering dual booting.:rolleyes:

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  8. don240

don240 MDL Novice

Jul 19, 2009
    Try this
    Go into admin tools, expand your windows 7 partition to use your full drive, then shrink your partition to the size that you want your windows 8 install to be, format the new partition & ensure that you mark it as active, then try to boot from your win 8 dvd again, if that does not work install win 7 on your new partition, dont bother to update win 7, but make sure that the graphics driver is up to date, then install win 8 as an upgrade from within your new win 7 install

9. mamed

mamed MDL Novice

Apr 4, 2010
    Well,I did what U said,I activated my partition and reboot but it says "BOOTMGR" is missing and I can t even get access to windows 7 and I am prompted to press ctrl+alt+del to restart but nothing happens.
    I am lost and I need the bl..computer especially for my wife who is studying and she works on it most of the time.
    Help!
    thanks in advance.

10. cruze1

cruze1 MDL Novice

Mar 3, 2012
    First make sure your DVD drive is set as first boot device in Bios!

Then boot on your windows 7 disk pick your language , when it comes up tp install screen chose repair bottom left of screen.

select your windows 7
    at the menue select Command Prompt
    Tyor in
    bootrec.exe /FixMbr

on completion it should say The operation completed successfully

11. don240

don240 MDL Novice

Jul 19, 2009
    #11 don240, Nov 2, 2012
    Last edited: Nov 2, 2012
    Just a thought, I had issues with a very slow boot on my PC (5 minutes to load into windows) as Windows 8 uses the bios in a different way to previous windows & as I was using a modded bios for windows 7, I decided to re flash the original bios to remove the modded one (I dont need slic 2.1 anymore) the bios flashed ok, but windows 8 would not load, it just hung on the boot screen, during the bios flash, my bios had been set to it's default state, all I had to do was turn off SATA support (I have IDE drives as SATA don't work very well with my mobo) problem solved, Windows 8 now boots in about 1 minute.
    So it might just be that your bios settings need altering to enable windows 8 to install, (also ensure that you don't have a password for your bios, while installing.

You may have a corrupt ISO image, try downloading the ISO again, I find using ultra ISO the best way to create a disk.

If neither off the above work, it looks like your only option is to boot from your Win 7 disk, use it to format your entire drive & as my previous reply, install win 7 then upgrade from within win 7, if that works you should then be able to install win 7 on your other partition to create a dual boot machine.

12. mamed

mamed MDL Novice

Apr 4, 2010
    #12 mamed, Nov 2, 2012
    Last edited: Nov 2, 2012
    (OP)
    Can´t boot from dvd.I am prompted to press a key to start from dvd but no sucess.Bootmgr is missing.
    Well,I did what Don240 said,I activated my partition(E:)and reboot but it says "BOOTMGR" is missing and I can t even get access to windows 7 and I am prompted to press ctrl+alt+del to restart but nothing happens.
    In other words ,I can´t start anything just the bios.

13. don240

don240 MDL Novice

Jul 19, 2009
  14. adit123tya

adit123tya MDL Senior Member

Oct 25, 2012
    in notepad type these lines as it is
    [Channel]
    Retail
    [VL]
    then save it as ei .cfg in sources folder of installation files... copy this file to sources folder of the dvd iso...then reburn the iso and boot from it... it should work

15. adit123tya

Oct 25, 2012
    this error typically means ur bootmgr file is damaged or is missing... It has nothing to do with bios... try replacing the bootmgr some new one

16. mamed

mamed MDL Novice

Apr 4, 2010
    How?
    No access at all,excpet the access to the bios.

17. adit123tya

Oct 25, 2012
  18. s1ave77

s1ave77 Has left at his own request

Aug 15, 2012
    Sounds like the DVD you try to boot from is not bootable at all. Recommend testing with a working one :D.

19. Shenj

Shenj MDL Expert

Aug 12, 2010
    Let me guess, your USB Keyboard gets not powered correctly > you can not press any key as result.
    Either your Mainboard is old or BIOS has some setting disabled/enabled.. just reset the BIOS
    But pro tip, just use the PS/2 port instead with old keyboard or Adapter, always works.

Also you can Install W8 inside W7 or a WinPE via imagex /apply, so you don't really need to burn any new disc or whatever.