can the file type of fat be changed to ntfs, without loosing the data of sonymem.card

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by jraju, Jun 9, 2013.

1. jraju

jraju MDL Member

Apr 6, 2013
    Hi, I am using sony ericsson s312 bar mobile phone. I could change the file format of pendrive from fat to ntfs, so that it could be fast in transfering the files and also could include more files than a fat formatted one.This i do with the convert J:/fs:ntfs command at commond prompt, if j is the pen drive.I want to know if the same could be applied to a memory card having fat system.
    When i try to save a file to sony mobile with 956 m.b it says that you could not transfer files to pen drive as the file system is fat It asked me to shift to ntfs or save the file in to the folders already creatd there in the pen drive. I tried the same command , but the windows says it could be formatted. I even tried chkdsk /f command to fix any error in the memory card. As this could be done only with computer help, i ask this question in this win 7 forum

2. Tito

Tito Super Mod / Adviser
    Staff Member

Nov 30, 2009
    Your phone can't read NTFS.

3. jraju

jraju MDL Member

Apr 6, 2013
    Thanks tito, sir, But why the window message to change the ntfs or to copy the same to a already named folder, sir

4. Bytebuster

Bytebuster MDL Addicted

Apr 30, 2013
    ...if your computer is eg. unable to 'read' your mem. stick it wants to format it. As Tito wrote, your phone can't handle NTFS, so there is no point.

5. MrMagic

MrMagic MDL Guru

Feb 13, 2012
    Use FAT32

6. jraju

jraju MDL Member

Apr 6, 2013
    Hi, Thanks for all for your useful replies. The default is fat. Why not allowing a 6 m. b file in its folder. It is asking to copy to the folders already created. My mem card has 900 m. b free space

7. Carlos Detweiller

Carlos Detweiller Emperor of Ice-Cream

Dec 21, 2012
    FAT allows up to ~2GiB files to be created. FAT32 has a file size limit of ~4GiB (actually a few bytes less).

The limit that you are hitting is probably not size-related. FAT allows only a limited number of files in the root directory. FAT32 does not have that limit so you should use FAT32.

8. jraju

jraju MDL Member

Apr 6, 2013
    can i change the fat to fat32 in my sony memory card. Should i type convert H/fs:fat32 in the command prompt. Will it allow and will it support my mobile phone

9. Tito

Tito Super Mod / Adviser
    Staff Member

Nov 30, 2009