Can Torrent Client downloads continue in Computer Sleep Mode?

Discussion in 'Application Software' started by Katzenfreund, Nov 7, 2016.

1. Katzenfreund

Katzenfreund MDL Expert

Jul 15, 2016
    I have set my computer to go into Sleep Mode (not Hibernation) after 20 minutes of inactivity.
    From what I have noticed, if I leave a browser on, even if not downloading anything, the computer won’t go into sleep mode.
    But if I close the browser and leave the qBittorrent client open, the computer will go into Sleep Mode, even if files are downloading.

So my questions:
    Why does the computer go into Sleep Mode when files are downloading in qBittorrent? Doesn’t that count as activity?
    Is there a way to continue downloading these files while the computer is in Sleep Mode?

2. lucidus

lucidus MDL Member

Mar 18, 2015
    In settings -> behaviour, enable inhibit sleep when torrents are active.

I don't think it's possible for torrents to be active while in sleep mode in windows.

3. amajmon

amajmon MDL Senior Member

Sep 21, 2012
    No because torent need hard disk to save what it downloaded in sleap hard disk is off. PC goes in sleep because inactivity of OS not activity background process.:g:

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  4. sebus

sebus MDL Guru

Jul 23, 2008
    Can you watch your TV in standby mode?

5. Katzenfreund

Katzenfreund MDL Expert

Jul 15, 2016
    Could you give more specific instructions as there doesn't seem to be a "behaviour" section in Settings.

6. lucidus

lucidus MDL Member

Mar 18, 2015
    I meant QB's settings. Windows 10's Settings slipped my mind. Just click Options or Tools-> Options in QB and you'll get the setting.

7. Katzenfreund

Katzenfreund MDL Expert

Jul 15, 2016
    ˄˄
    Thanks, did that. And logically, the existence of a setting to inhibit sleep during downloads, implies that downloads can’t take place during sleep. That XP guy I mentioned in my previous post must have got it wrong.