Can two Windows Server Domains co-exist?

Discussion in 'Windows Server' started by Leica, Feb 9, 2013.

1. Leica

Leica MDL Member

Nov 15, 2012
    I have setup an Active Directory on a server and with two client PCs.

Now I want to setup another Active Directory (new domain name and new DNS server) on another server and connect a couple of new PCs to the new domain.

All are virtual machines pretty much and all use the same network with the same IP addresses 192.168.1.x

Will I have any problems? Obviously I am going to keep them isolated, i.e. the ones part of the new domain won't even know about the old domain with a different name and clients lurking around on the same network with similar IP addresses.

And of course this will be temporary until the new domain is all tested and up and running. Then the old domain server and clients will be put to death :twisted:

Thanks.

2. Leica

Leica MDL Member

Nov 15, 2012
    This is not a production environment. I am just a hobbyist!

I am setting up a Windows Server network to learn and play with it. I already have one at the moment which I also used for learning and testing. So should I delete that old network before I create a new one or can I keep that going for a while?

There are absolutely no data files of importance on the old one! Still it would be nice to have it alive so that I can try and experiment with it.

3. Leica

Leica MDL Member

Nov 15, 2012
    Thanks. I thought so, that should be OK.

My DHCP server is my Apple Airport Extreme router! Will that be OK with a Windows Server 2012? Or do I have to have a dedicated DHCP server?

I have realised that the DNS server has to be the AD server otherwise clients can't find the domain! But in my testing so far DHCP being with the router seems to be OK. I have asked my router to assign a fixed IP address to my AD/DNS server which it nicely does, then I put in this IP address as the DNS server in the IPv4 settings of the clients. So that is what I am doing with my test AD network so far!

4. Leica

Leica MDL Member

Nov 15, 2012
    I never thought of that. Sure, I can add the IP address of the DNS server into my router. I will give it a try. Thanks!

5. mattjonesits

mattjonesits MDL Novice

Apr 11, 2013
    Let us know how you get on.
    I was planning to dot the same thing.

6. Myrrh

Myrrh MDL Expert

Nov 26, 2008
    I wonder where all the things went that the OP was responding to. It's kind of a confusing conversation.

If you want two active directory domains completely isolated in the same IP space, you'll have to configure IP/gateway/DNS manually for one of them. Using DHCP would tend to point everything to the same place otherwise.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  7. haileris

haileris MDL Novice

Jul 30, 2009
    Not if you use DCHP option classes - see technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc958901.aspx. Personally, I wouldn't bother with DHCP anyway unless I have a lot of hosts.

8. Leica

Leica MDL Member

Nov 15, 2012
    I had no problems. At one point I even had three Domains on the same subnet. No conflicts or anything. I was just careful to make sure that each VM pointed to the correct IP addresses.

9. Leica

Leica MDL Member

Nov 15, 2012
    Same here. What the hell happened to my replies??? Looks like I am talking to myself :icecream:

10. Tito

Tito Super Mod / Adviser
    Staff Member

Nov 30, 2009
    vymrdal is banned so his posts are gone.

:D