Can Win8's virtual drive application be used in previous os?

Discussion in 'Windows 8' started by Hyson, Sep 20, 2012.

1. Hyson

Hyson MDL Novice

Sep 10, 2012
    I heard that Win8 supports mounting images (iso) directly without any third party applications/software, a giant improvement from previous os, such as Win7 and XP.

I was wondering if Win8's mounting app could be ripped out separately and be used in Winxp or Win7? And, of course, where can I locate the virtual drive app in Win8's installing CD? I think it would be the best for Win7 x64 system.

2. lunar21

lunar21 MDL Addicted

Dec 14, 2008
    If I am correct the "mounting app" is within the explorer. So, again if I am right, you would have to some how get the explorer.exe from win 8 and get it to work in Win 7 which is useless really as Windows 8 is even faster then Windows 7. Just use a 3rd party app to mount images.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. roirraW "edor" ehT

roirraW "edor" ehT MDL Addicted

Sep 1, 2007
    Agreed, no point in trying to make explorer from Windows 8 to work in previous Windows. Just install Windows 8. I use Daemon Tools Lite in previous Windows, and it still has advantages over W8's built in.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  4. Hyson

Hyson MDL Novice

Sep 10, 2012
    Thank you, lunar. It seems that the native iso mounting could not be achieved in win7. a little bit missing ms cd control panel, a small app in previous xp os.
    Yes, I love DT too. I still keep a v3.47 old ver in my online disk.

5. roirraW "edor" ehT

Sep 1, 2007
    Ah! When DT was actually completely free. :)

6. oliverjia

oliverjia MDL Addicted

Mar 1, 2008
    I thought the current Lite version of DT is still free, isn't it?
    BTW, I agree DT is probably the best Virtual Drive out there.

7. roirraW "edor" ehT

Sep 1, 2007
    You can install DT Lite in free mode, but I meant before they even had pay versions of DT. Even DT Lite has a pay mode.