can windows 8 mess up your windows 7 activation?

Discussion in 'Windows 8' started by Radtech, Nov 22, 2012.

1. Radtech

Radtech MDL Novice

Nov 22, 2012
    Hello everyone. I installed windows 8 and activated it.. I didn't know it was eval. but anyways. I have on another hard drive windows 7 that was activated for a year now. When I activated my windows 8 rebooted and went to windows 7 its telling me my win. 7 isn't genuine and needs activation. Why?

2. Shenj

Shenj MDL Expert

Aug 12, 2010
    Maybe because you used DAZ Loader and not a legit key for 7?

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. Josh Cell

Josh Cell MDL Developer

Jan 8, 2011
    Windows 8 has been overwritten the custom bootloader installed by any SLIC Emulator (activator).

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  4. Radtech

Radtech MDL Novice

Nov 22, 2012
    So how do I fix this so I can have both? I'm new to all this so I just remember using a loader I think for win 7 but it has worked like a charm until this eval version of win8.

5. pisthai

pisthai Imperfect Human

Jul 29, 2009
    #5 pisthai, Nov 23, 2012
    Last edited: Dec 30, 2012
    I'm NOT a friend of software boot managers, I use all times the Boot Manager of the Bios.

So, that said, I would use 1 HD for Windows 8 and an other one for Windows 7! While installing the OS I would disconnect the HD which runs the other OS. After both are installed, I wouyld use the BIOS Boot Manager for booting the OS I like to run. That is done by using the Hot Key for the boot manager like:
    • Asus MB: F8
    • Gigabyte NB: F12
    • ASRock and most other MB: F11
    • some MB's: F2
    While startup the machine, hit the Key for your MB and you could than chose from an small screen which HD you like to start.

The advantage of this procedure is, there isn't any software involved and the BIOS Boot Manager will work all time the BIOS is working. And you could still see the full drive with all content in either OS!

6. hbhb

hbhb MDL Expert

Dec 15, 2010
    Dude, just run Daz:cool:

7. TCM

TCM MDL Addicted

Aug 25, 2011
    Just run Enterprise versions of both and use KMS for activation.

8. titian

titian MDL Junior Member

Sep 22, 2009
    If you are running W7 and W8 on same machine I found I had to disable fastoot on W8 and also dont use hibernate. Disabling fastboot dosn't make a lot of difference to boot times particulary if you use a ssd.

9. Radtech

Radtech MDL Novice

Nov 22, 2012
    thanks everyone. Yeah they are on separate Hd's. Win 7 I used a boot loader even though I don't know if I had to. I installed that enterprise win 7 on my gfs machine yesterday and it said already activated in systems. I will probably try the bios boot loader. I have to wait to reinstall win8 before I can play. Thanks again.

10. meat7433

meat7433 MDL Novice

Dec 20, 2012
    Howdy, howdy, so have you thought of using a boot manager? I find that the Plop Boot Manager v5.0 works pretty darn well and it doesn't matter were the second OS is, such as on Usb, partition, virtual machine, etc.... just Google search it. Oh yeaah, ITS FREE!!!!!

11. Daz

Daz MDL Developer / Admin
    Staff Member

Jul 31, 2009
    #12 Daz, Dec 29, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 20, 2017
    If you use the "legacy" boot manager for Windows 8 then everything works perfectly. Just open command prompt as an admin from Windows 8 and enter the following...
    Code:
    bcdedit /set {default} bootmenupolicy legacy
    Reboot to Windows 7 and install the loader and then you'll be fine.